Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to try out a small lake near home this evening before the rain hit. All i knew about it was that there was trout and some pumpkinseeds. Dont know bout them trout but found out there are definitely pumpkinseeds in that lake!!! I had total of nine and with eight to hand in the last 45 min i fished. It was a blast! :thumb A couple of the bigger ones put up a decent fight with my 5 weight, makes me want a 3 weight even more!

My buddy fished the green today and said he saw about a 9 pound steelie circlin in a pool, but of course it wouldnt take anything he threw at it! }(

Gonna try and get into a summer run steelhead with my 7 weight, but i need to outfit it with some new line. Any recommendations for something that would be effective for both summer and winter, or is floating better for the summers and sinking for the winters? Any help would be much appreciated! :thumb

Oh, and Mac, those flies look awesome!!! I cant wait to get em, thanks for headin that swap up. A job well done guys! :thumb

Tyler

"Fly-fishing is the most fun you can have standing up."

- Arnold Gingrich

G

·
Hi
I set up a 15 foot section of dry line weighted 2 degrees above the rod weight, i.e. I have an 8 wt rod and 10 wt dry line; with 100 ft of Cortland SL running line behind it. I made loops with 30 lb. braided mono to attach the dry line to the running line, and have been buying (and making) the seperate sinktips to attach to the dry line as conditions warrant. I have a type 8 for winter, a type 6 for deeper runs in the summer and a type 4 for 4-6 foot deep runs in semi-slow water, and another section of dry line with leader tied on to that.

I love this set-up. It is very versatile, I can handle any conditions, winter or summer and can easily change the tips out. Kim at Skagit Anglers can set you up with everything that I mentioned above.

Where did you see that fish on the Green. THat is my favorite river, I grew up foalting down it in intertubes and swimming, and catching plenty of salmon, but never any steelies. Always interested to hear about it, I live in Everett now. Id love to get out there this summer, they are actually expecting a big run this summer, there were more hatchery steelies planted 3 or 4 years ago (that should return this year) than in any other local river. I thin kit was about 115,000. Check out the wdfw website to see for sure :beer2

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! I had been thinkin about some kind of versitip system, sounds like the best bet.

My buddy was fishing the green where hwy 18 crosses it, so he saw that fish somewhere in that stretch. Of course he didnt give me exact details.

I sure hope i get to tango with one of them bad boys this summer!!! :thumb

Tyler

"Fly-fishing is the most fun you can have standing up."

- Arnold Gingrich

G

·
thats a great streatch of water, too bad it gets the crap pounded out of it by the gear guys during the salmon season. i beleive that the river is closed below HWY 18 for steelhead until October 16, but I havent checked this year's regs for that yet. I beleive I am going to hit it up at one of the state parks on Sunday afternoon, I will keep y'all informed.

Andy P

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.