Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
My name is Mark Oberg
1,523 Posts
I do not use any tippet and use strait 10 pound leader, they may bust off any nice taperd leader. They will take anything they are not fussy, only in the presentation of a big ugly nimp. dark green or light brown work best for me. I use at least a number 4 hook. I have caught them with brown feathers just tide to a hook. I think I am in the 30rdy's this last two month's.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Reeltrout :COOK Can someone give me some advice on if Chum are in the rivers right now. Also, how hard are they to catch in dirty water. I want to get out on Sunday and it is raining very hard in Kirkland right now. Finally! Steelies on their way....

·
Just an Old Man
35,204 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

Well I would scratch the Stilly right now as was there to day and both forks are running high and muddy. Went over to the Sky and it is up but it is not dirty.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I fish mostly the Oly Pen for them. Usually the southernmost off Chehalis system. We have alot of big chum, quite a few in the 20# range. I normally use straight leader from flyline, and usually 15-20# test. The way they fight (and the obstacles to boot) you need that tougher line. Normally, I'm only running maybe 3-4' off a sinktip line.

I use only a couple flies for chum. On rivers, I use my own chum bug alot (it's on a previous post I do believe) for most river situations, then on more stained water I use big flashy marabou type flies. Usually in chartreuse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.