Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started playing FISHING PLANET (http://fishingplanet.com/) to feed my addiction while trapped at my desk. It's not fly fishing but it fills the void. Anyone else play?

Found this fly fishing game but it looks so outdated. http://www.pishtech.com/rwff_index.php Cool part of this game is that you can tie your own custom flies. Looks interesting for sure. I just can't stand bad graphics and mechanics. Just downloaded the free demo so I'll check it out and report back.

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
After reading the OP I downloaded the pishtec game. At first the reel didn't work rendering the game useless. After loading the game a few times it started to work. I'm using it on a small but powerful tablet and the graphics don't look outdated at all. The background is high res and the water movement and sound are realistic. So far I've caught a few bluegills in the practice pond and a few brookies in a nice stream.

TC

Reactions: Augy

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Fishing games are fun. I played a pretty cool game for my PC years ago. Something about trophy sport fishing. It had world-famous rivers as the locales for various trophy species (Au Sable for Atlantics, Sol Duc for steelhead and pacific salmon, etc.). It had a fly fishing mode, too, that was pretty neat. You had to move the mouse to backcast and forecast, and if your timing was off, your cast would flail.

Only 20+ steelhead I ever caught. At least the game recognized my prowess!

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
I attempted playing "bait and switch" yesterday, but I couldn't find any fish that wanted to play! Nary a single nibble in two hours of casting bait for surf perch. Same location that was cookin' last Spring. Could find nothing, not even a small sculpin. Probably too cold and too early in the year for that spot. Fly rod never came out of its case. Can't really say that I "lost," since I was outside enjoying such a beautiful sunny day!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had trouble with the fly fishing game like TC but got it going. At 1024 x 768 max resolution, it's best on a small screen. That said, it's a dedicated fly fishing game so you fish using real world techniques. You have a pretty decent selection of flies. Dry, wet, streamers, terrestrials, etc. You can even tie your own custom flies. Full selection of lines, leaders, tippets, rods and even ability to add split shots. It's pretty dynamic surprisingly.

Apparently I spooked fish with a bad cast which I thought was a very cool feature. Line physics, despite the Minecraft graphics, are pretty good. I like how the rod loads when the fish puts pressure on it. I wish they updated this game to the standards of gaming today. Has a lot of potential. It's quick digital fix if you are jonesing.

I say give it a shot if you like gaming. Free demo so why not. But if you want to buy it, it's $30. A bit pricey for an old title. It's fly fishing so I'm not surprised even a video game is over priced. :confused:

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
They used to have a hand held game for Bass. You would go through the motions of casting and then you would reel it in. If you had a hit you could set the hook. I caught a few bass with that game. It even had a few different bass lures to fish with.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Update on Fishing Planet.

Looks like Fishing Planet had a major update. Many new features. Much improved fishing mechanics. Water physics are pretty darn good especially when reeling in fish. You can see the splashes and swirls of wake left behind the fish. You can actually see fish explode on the surface when they take lures off the top. They will miss too which is pretty neat.

Keep in mind you have to level up a little to start using lures. Yes you start with couple slices of bread and corn. I know, ugh, live bait. Hey we all started this way remember?

Best part is that they reworked the co-op system and so now you can fish with friends shoulder to shoulder casting over each others lines (no tangles). You can setup a private outing with only friends on a body of water. It would be neat to play along side other WFF members on a "private" lake. lol

Anyway, check it out. It's completely free so you got nothing to lose except a few fish. If you do, look me up. My toon name is HankPatterson. :cool:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright that was cool. I saw a smallmouth follow my spoon towards the surface so I stopped retrieve and bam. Saw it take it. Had to share cuz I couldn't believe it's in the game.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's my project... It's definitely more family oriented than what I'd typically do, but it's a fun collaboration with Kirk (author of Olive the Woolly Bugger). You use flies to catch fish and rid the river of invasive species.

Cool! Wish you the best of luck on your project. Keep us updated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.