Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fishing in Cabo.. guides? advice?

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Yak 
#1 ·
So we have Cabo San Lucas on our short list of honeymoon destinations. And naturally, I'm rooting for this one given the... opportunities there. I actually got the "pass" to look in to fishing guides, and the costs of getting out to chase dorado, jacks, whatever else may be around at the time. We'll be there in mid september 2010.

I did some searches, but didn't come up with much on recommended guides around Cabo. Also, I don't have anything beefier than an 8wt, and I'm pretty sure that investing in a 12wt isn't in my near future. So I need to look in to getting my hands on some gear there, preferably with a guide who provides such things.

#2 ·
Baja Anglers is your only real option if you need gear. An 8 wght won't do it.

They are pricier then a pangero but if you need gear you don't have a choice. Also these guys specialize in fly fishing and have great references. Besides they will take are of your rigging. For somebody new to the salt that is a great option.

The risk of a pagareo w/o references is that he may not understand the mosca and he will take you out to drag gear.

#6 ·
I'm headed there for a week at Christmas and came across the same advice about Baja Anglers. Their website has some pretty impressive fish caught on the fly. They're pricey but will probably do at least one day. PM me if anyone will be there at the same time and would like to split the guide cost. I'll also be looking for spots to fish from the beach or rocks.
Jay R.

#8 ·
They all end up catching the same way, tease the fish up close and near the surface so a fly can be presented within casting range. Plain and simple. Just my opinion, that I would rather go out 4 days with a local Panga guide for the same price as blowing it on one day with the ex-patriots. Nothing against Baja Anglers, but just my opinion. I know Ramon has a network of boats and they keep in radio contact with other boats that are catching. Usually if a Dorado is hooked, there are many more below it and within casting range. Its no puzzle out there, if there are fish around, and you throw your fly, you'll likely be onto one. Be sure to check out Steve Janzen's tackle shop as well, he is know for his beach fishing around Cabo. Even though he is a gear guy, you'll see how many species can be taken off the beach during various times of the year.

Most of the so called 'guides' in Cabo know nothing about fly fishing, and I can agree with AT comment, but Ramon was highly recommend to me from a couple of other WFF's who have been fishing with him for years with good success. He speaks good english and I can bet you that you won't have fresh Dorado Ceviche' aboard any other boat.

#9 ·
hey, i appreciate all opinions on the topic. the panga deal overall does seem like it would be a bit of a bum deal when compared to a real fly fishing guide. but this Ramon guy Paul suggested seems like he's the real deal. i've done some interweb searching on him, and found quite a few positive reports with his name attached. and it sounds like several board members have been really happy with their experiences with him. given my budget restrictions, i really think that he's the one i'm going to try to have take us out.

thanks again guys! any more advice or anything of the sort, fire away! eventually i'm going to need to start building up a fly selection to bring along too

#11 ·
Evan,

If you can get the gear, and an 11 is perfect, than practice your leaders and knots. Fly selection is basic. Clousers in chartreuse and white and tan and white for the surf and dorado. Red and white clousers work for tuna. Take a couple poppers so if it gets real good you have them. Get 4 billfish flys, black and green, pink and white, and blue and white and a squid.

I agree with Yellowlab on the cost issue. You get two days of fishing for the price of one. But you need somebody that knows what they are doing. Also, if you don't have gear, you don't have a choice.

Two other suggestions:

When you make your reservation, you want to be out as early as possible. That way if the number of baits are low, you are sure to get some. The low light also increases the odds and the amount of time you get to fish the big ones along the surf. Early also usually means that the wind is down which is better for casting. Leaving the harbor before the sun comes over the horizon is about right. If it looks like this when you are leaving, you are a too late.

Also, take a look at this thread. Having a LMS (line management system) on board with you on a panga saves a lot of hassle. A panga offers lots of places for a line to get snagged. It looks like the basket on this thread collapses so that you can fit it in your luggage.

#12 ·
Evan, I've got a 12wt. I've got a reel to go along with it. I've got lines that go along with those. You've got them if you need to bring stuff of your own. The rod is a TFO, no warranty worries there. The reel is a redington breakwater, I'm pretty sure it has the same warranty as their newer ones, again no worries there. Let me know.

#14 ·
I fished in a panga booked through George at Flyhooker.com. Capt's name was Victor and he was a solid Flyfishing guide. I dont' reacall the name of the boat but was something "II'. Really comfortable center console style super panga. He also had a mate on the boat who would drive while Victor threw out the sardinas to attract the fish and also coach us on the back of the boat. I don't think he had any gear but we had our own and took 10 and 8 wt's. We had a few flys and flouro leaders down to 25 and 16 lb tippet.. We started out and got bait then went a mile or so out to a school of yellowfin tuna. Caught a couple on 10wts (avatar pic) but it took all our first scoop of bait. While we were on the school Victor called the bait guy on the radio and he came out to us with more bait so we did not have to go back in. We stayed on the tuna a bit longer but with no more luck so went in off the beach and caught quite a few roosters, jacks, etc on 8wts until the fish were on to our bait and switch tactics. It was a blast and we were back to Cabo about 1-2 pm Very reasonable price and I went this direction rather than using Baha Anglers.

#15 ·
The panga captain Yak is speaking of is named Victor Saizar. His panga is the "Santi". I've fished with him a few times also and he is a good dude.

The price difference in a panga as compared to Baja Anglers may seem large. However, they are two entirely different products. Grant runs a top notch operation and his guides are the real deal. They know how to generate real fly casting opportunities under a variety of conditions and they won't go into "fly trolling mode" the way other captains often do.

Also, Baja Anglers boats are capable of running much farther than your typical panga. Most pangueros have a limited range around Cabo which is fine is the bite is close but if there's action father afield you may well never see it.

#16 ·
I've decided on using the Panga that Yellowlab suggested. As much as I'd love to book a trip with Baja Anglers, the price is just far out of my range for this trip. I'll be perfectly happy to just be out there, and for the prices he's asking, I can't pass that up. If all doesn't go well, I can always return and splurge on a Baja Anglers trip.

Thanks again for all the valuable info guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.