Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "Fishing Large Lakes" thread got me thinking about fishing possibilities in Chile and Argentina. Has anyone done both that can compare the two countries? I would like to make a trip down there in the next couple of years so although this may seem premature, I'd like to see what people have to say. I'd be looking for info on do-it-yourself trips. Although that may seem a little daunting, I am fluent in Spanish and lived in Chile for a period (didn't fish at all) so I feel I could pull something like this off relatively inexpensively except for the flight down there.

Argentina seems to have a longer history, more lodges, and large sea run browns but Chile has special appeal to me for the reason stated above.

Let's hear your experiences guys!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I see you are in Ellensburg. You should stop by the Evening Hatch and pick Jack Mitchel's brain (if he is around-I think he sold the shop, but still works there?) He guides in Argentina. There is a great new book called "Fly Fishing in Patagonia-A Trout Bums Guide to Argentina." that would reaally help with a do-it-yourself trip there. Rick

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rick. Yeah, Jack did sell the shop and I don't think he hangs out there much any more. I have the book Argentine Trout Fishing, which is about 20 years old. I'll have to look into some of the other books you recommend.

G

·
By any chance do you know Charlie and his brother Robert? They owned a fly shop there in Elensburg years ago. Charlie would go to both of those places every year for a month at a time. His stories (w/pics) were outlandish. My favorite was his pattern of choice, "The Mouse". If he was catching 10-12lb Brownies he was bored, too small he said.

Anyway good luck! Wish I could go.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I am planning to head to Chile in early 2011 for +-2 weeks and am trying to finalize dates and location. I would be happy to share any intel I get during planning process....Old family friend is Jay Burgin, who owns to Chilean fishing lodges (and one in MT) so I will be picking his brain and possibly spending one week with him down there.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are/were a couple brothers involved with the Yak. Not sure if they are the same as you refer to but I think one guided and the other worked in a fly shop... don't think they owned it. I know their last name but won't post it here to protect the innocent (or guilty as the case may be) but I had no idea they fished down south. I'll check in on that.

G

·
There are/were a couple brothers involved with the Yak. Not sure if they are the same as you refer to but I think one guided and the other worked in a fly shop... don't think they owned it. I know their last name but won't post it here to protect the innocent (or guilty as the case may be) but I had no idea they fished down south. I'll check in on that.
I think you're right on that with the brothers. Charlie guided and Robert worked in the shop. Charlie went with another friend down there. They are both brother-in-laws to a great friend of mine. I don't know them real well, but they knew that Yak river! Charlie guided me for free, put me on 15 or so fish, the smallest was 19" and the biggest was about 6 or 7lbs. That was a very long time ago - '98. I have not been back since. However, he changed my fly fishing tactics forever with methods that I never thought of til then. But now it's the only way I'll fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.