Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
This is my first time here i am from England and coming to Soqualmie in June for one month to visit my Daughter and her Family who know nothing about fishing.
So could any one tell me where to fish in Snoqualmie area i mainly fish the fly but dont mind any other fishing.
Could you also tell me what permits and costs
Tights lines
Searover

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
June can be an interesting month on the west side of the Cascades. The Snoqualmie River is still running a bit high the first part of the month with spring run off but is often fishable even at the beginning of June when it opens up.

The town of Snoqualmie is just above the falls which seperates the river into two distictive fisheries. Below the falls anandromous fish are generally the sought after species. Early June has a small sprinkling of summer run steelhead. And I want to emphasize a very small number of fish! Above the falls the river divides into 3 seperate forks. The South and Middle forks offer the most public access. Trout are the game providing a mix of cutthroat, rainbow and brook trout.

The next drainage north is the Skykomish. June generally has a fishable run of early King salmon and some summer run steelhead. It has some OK acces off the Ben Howard road for wading. A guided trip may be in order on this river.

To the east and on the other side of the Cascades is the Yakima river. It is probably about an hour and a half drive from the Town of Snoqualmie to Ellensburg. The Canyon Road from E-burg to the town of Yakima follows the river and there are numerous pullouts that will allow access to the river. Though a guided trip is not neccesary to get into the better waters it would be worth a bit of expense to take a guided float. This is probably the only true blue water fishery in the state for trout. Western and eastern Washington are quite the opposite. The west side is a maritime climate and the east side is semi arid. A lot of people on the wet side head over the hill to get some sun and warmer weather. The Canyon is quite spectacular.

Out of state licenses for freshwater this season ran $44. But who knows what that will be this coming season. You can contact statewide customer service by e-mail at, [email protected].

Dave

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
There will be quite a bit of fly fishing - fresh and salt, river and lake, available to you for the month of June. Bring a 5 or 6wt rod and floating line, waders and rain gear. Call me at the shop for fishing info.

Leland Miyawaki
Fishing Manager,
Orvis Belleveve
425-452-9138

·
Livin down by the river, eating gov'ment cheese...
51 Posts
Hey there! I live just down the road from Snoqualmie, In Carnation. Right below the falls there is the Tokul Creek hatchery. There will be a limited number of summer run steelhead when you get here in June. Normally, the water is a bit high, but you never know. You'll need floating and sinking lines, leech, egg, skating, and nymph patterns. The fishing should be decent, with a good shot at a 6-8 lb hatchery fish. You can also fish gear, but it is selective only (no bait, scent, or barbed hooks) during that time of the year. There are decent steelhead fishing spots at Tokul Creek, downtown (you read that right) Fall City, and at the park in Carnation (mouth of the Tolt River). If you go on Google Earth, you can see all the fishing spots for yourself and get the lay of the land.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What an interesting read. You guys should be proud. I used to fish the upper Sky and Snoqualimie as a kid. We waded it in just our tennis shoes. Dry fly or sinking tip with a funny looking little wad of loose black stuff with a Red head was good with a sinking tip.(periwinkle? maybe)
In the 50's it wasnt so inhabited though. Still I'll bet its just as easy to wade as it was then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Guys
Thank you for your great responce and taking the time to give me all of this info.I will bring some gear and chuck some fluff.
I will try to reply to replys as soon as i get some time
Thanks again
Searover47

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi
I have just looked at Google earth of Tolt River it looks great, the wading looks easy in some places "is it" How much of the river can you fish and what is the cost of the permit to fish there.
I have never fished for steel heads what weight rod would i need to bring with me to fish for them? would i need to book a beat? and what size flies wil i need.
Sorry to be such a pain but i am looking forward to my visit
Regards

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Hi
I have just looked at Google earth of Tolt River it looks great, the wading looks easy in some places "is it" How much of the river can you fish and what is the cost of the permit to fish there.
I have never fished for steel heads what weight rod would i need to bring with me to fish for them? would i need to book a beat? and what size flies wil i need.
Sorry to be such a pain but i am looking forward to my visit
Regards
There are no beats to pay for but there is private property with no access. You only need to buy state licenses which allow you to fish any open waters.

Leland.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It is so refreshing to see a thread like this. It seems that whenever I try to help someone, someone else flames me for giving out fishing info-maybe this board is actually evolving into something a little more mature and kind! Rick

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
For a rod a 6 wt should handle anything that time of year unless you decide to book a trp and fish for kings on the Skykomish. Then an 8 wt is probably in order.

The Tolt is a pretty little stream but not a lot of access and there are better waters to fish in my opinion. Depending on flows the middle fork of the Snoqualmie should be pretty good local water and has quite a bit of access. It has been awhile since I have been up there but I believe a person can still fish the Taylor river too which is a trib of the middle fork.

There are a lot of tribs to the Skykomish which can offer some pretty good fishing. None of these rivers nor their tribs mentioned here are going to have large fish as a rule. But there are some larger fish.

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.