Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking here for about a month... Ever since my wife first suggested a trip to Seattle to visit friends for vacation. So I start to research... Some decent trout fishing... Some possible steelhead hookup...

Things are looking good. So I call up a guide service, whos name I am leaving out so we don't debate about whether or not they were the right ones to call, and booked a day of fishing for Sept 5th. Going after steelhead. Yes, I know it is the fish of 1,000 casts and I may not see one all day. For me, a good day on the river and linking a few successful casts together is a perfect day for me. Add a fish and it's the best.

So, I am looking here first and foremost to see is there is something that you guys can think of that might complete the following sentiment. Man this is a great day on the river but I wish I had __________________.

Here is my current packing list:
  • micro puff pull over (insulation)
  • rain jacket
  • waiters
  • boots
  • both rods
  • both reels
  • steelhead fly box (just a collection of flys already purchased)
  • vest
  • fingerless gloves
  • sunglasses
  • socks
  • pants (for insulating layer under waiters)
  • shirt
  • hat
  • pocket knife

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have on the topic. I am very excited and can't wait to get out there.

Then we head off to Whidbey for a handful of days where I will go hit the lake up by deception pass (with the 5 or 7 weight?).

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If you're married, you probably want to keep your waiters as far as possible from your pants...

Otherwise, a pair of waders and a spare set of clothes in case you swim should have you all set.

Pass Lake is tough to fish from the bank, most people use float tubes, etc. You might be better off trying for searun cutthroat or coho salmon from the beach.

Enjoy your trip;)

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,370 Posts
What river will you be fishng? Depending on where, I'd substitute shorts, tee shirt, wading sandals and sunscreen for the micropuff but it will depend on the river...

·
Registered
648 Posts
With the exception of a glacial fed river, I would be wet wading...actually I would try to wet wade those too...I find waders a necessary evil.

Skip Pass lake and hit the beaches, or drive a bit further to the Skagit. Also instead of hitting the beaches, hit the cliffs...the rocky steep shoreline for rock fish, lings and maybe a surprise salmon. (Warning, not sure of the rock fish regs up there...it used to be open...)

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
OMJ has it right where clothing is concerned; if you're fishing for steelhead you won't be in the mountains, and even there, except for early morning, its unlikely to be cold. Rain gear, however, can sometimes be of prime importance. With the abysmal state of steelhead runs in the state (particulary in the Puget Sound rivers) you're chances of finding one are less than terrific. Fishing the beaches is a good alternative, there should be a few coho in by then. Another option would be to fish the rivers for sea-run cutthroat, they are there in good numbers already and provide the best "trout" fishing that western Washington has to offer. Small steelhead flies, spider patterns (both Knudson and Reverse), and dry flies can work well; my favorites in that line include Baetis and cranefly imitations.

The above-mentioned spider patterns work well on the beaches, as do most baitfish patterns (I don't fish Clousers because they are an abomination to cast and it's not necessary to dredge the bottom). Good luck and enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the tips and insight, particularly on the weather. I will be in touch with the guide between now and the day I fish, Sept 5th so we can always alter what fish we go for.

As for the river specifically, he said what ever happens to be fishing well at the time. With in a 3 hour drive from Seattle anyway. I'll be sure to ask him how good/bad the steelhead fishing is because if it's really that bad I am not sure I want to try...

Is it really that bad?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
A three hour drive from Seattle WILL get you to some decent Steelhead water. The Cowlitz, Kalama and Lewis are all in that time frame. The Cowlitz is fishing good right now and I would guess so are the Lewis and Kalama.

On those three rivers there is a good chance of hooking into some Kings that will be fresh. If on the Cowlitz and your arm is tired then there are quite a few searun cutthroat.

The Snohomish system (Skykomish and Snoqualmi) don't generally turn on for salmon or steelhead until after a few good days of rain generally in mid September. But sometimes things don't always work out that way.

Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A three hour drive from Seattle WILL get you to some decent Steelhead water. The Cowlitz, Kalama and Lewis are all in that time frame. The Cowlitz is fishing good right now and I would guess so are the Lewis and Kalama.

On those three rivers there is a good chance of hooking into some Kings that will be fresh. If on the Cowlitz and your arm is tired then there are quite a few searun cutthroat.

The Snohomish system (Skykomish and Snoqualmi) don't generally turn on for salmon or steelhead until after a few good days of rain generally in mid September. But sometimes things don't always work out that way.

Dave
OK cool glad to hear I am not wasting my time. I am still blown away by the wet wading. That just makes me day! I promise to post pics. Hopefully we will be fruitful, most likely not but here's hopin'.

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,158 Posts
I'd check the local weather in the spots you plan on fishing. Weatherforyou.com or something like that. Here in Leavenworth, the high on Friday's supposed to only get to 68, with snow showers in the higher elevations. Don't forget the wading staff!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.