Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RiverFishing

Hmmm...here's one that's got me puzzled...
In the new Cabelas Tackle Shop 2003 catalog I can see two examples of fluorocarbon on the same page - packaged as "Premium Fishing Line" and "Fluorocarbon Leader Spools." The price for 6lb. fishing line is $9.99 for 200 yds and for 6lb. leader material is $6.99 for a 25 meter spool.
So...is this the same material, packaged economically for the regular guys and packaged in a convenient dispenser at an exorbitant price for us flyfishermen? Or is it even economical (for a flyfisherman) to buy enough line material in enormous quantities that will last a lifetime? Is there a "freshness" thing I need to know about?
By the way, I just used fluorocarbon as an example.

Mike

:dunno

·
Mother Nature's Son
1,347 Posts
They're both the same material, they've just found a way to package it differently to make up more revenue. As for freshness, unfortunately, flourocarbon doesn't break down for tens of thousands of years so whatever you buy is going to be around for a very long time. My own vote is to stay away from flourocarbon leaders. I have to admit that I've used it in the past, but I don't care for it's texture and I found it very brittle. I'm sure they've improved it but I still don't care for the environmental impact it has.

Skinny

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
There is no dif between floro line compared to floro leader, the leader is just basically in a small convenient 25yd spool. There is though a BIG difference between Floro leader vs. Floro tippet, tippet being thinner in diameter and equal in strength. There is another thing also I found out and now use is Seagar's Grandmax Floro tippet.
IE; The Grandmax 8lb diameter is the same diameter as a "name brand" 6lb FLoro tippet. IMO,Dennis D. and others, Seagars Grandmax tippet is Numero-Uno! I know the Grandmax is expensive; 9.00 25yds at Sportco, but that spool will last me at least 2 mos fishing at least once a week. Shoot, I spend 9.00 a week on hamburgers I shouldn't be eating anyways!

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
Matthew 4:19

·
Banned
177 Posts
I don't mean to be disagreeable, but there can be a lot of difference between fluorocarbon line, leader and tippet material.

I just did some research for an article I was writing on new fishing lines this year, and I learned a lot about the physical composition of various lines. Don't think that fluorocarbon holds the same meaning from one manufacturer to the next as it doesn't. It's a bit like graphite rods-- if there is a smidgen of graphite, then some manufacturers will call it a graphite rod. The same goes with fluorocarbon. Some lines are 100 percent, some less so, and some are just coated in fluorocarbon.

Here's a capsule view of the market: fluorocarbon comes in different grades and configurations. There will be some advances coming out this year with newer versions of fluorocarbon that will make the line more fisherman friendly, but for the most part, there are only a few sources of fluorocarbon lines in the world.

As a rule of thumb, if fishing lines are labeled as "premium" then they have stricter quality controls than standard lines. The control isn't so much the quality of the material but the consistency of the diameter. Premium lines generally go through another die or two to assure that they are close the advertised diameter. I assume, and it's only an assumption, that fluorocarbon lines are held to the same standards.

The wide variety in pricing you notice on fluorocarbon comes from several areas: fly fishermen will pay more for just about anything, so companies keep prices high to keep fly fishing shops in business (the shops get a higher margin), the material used in the tippett spools is of higher quality, possibly there is a little tweaking of the chemical makeup to assure the traits fly fishermen like, and since it's in smaller packages, it costs more.

In reality, the actual cost of the line is probably the least bit of the final price. Packaging, mark-up. and distribution add way more to the final price than anything else.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree that the use of fluorocarbon should be avoided on environmental grounds. There has been talk on this forum about litter on the stream and what to do about it. Well, one of the best things you can do is not contribute to it. I have used it in the past while deep water nymphing (aka jigging), but have since given up the technique along with the bobber, split shot and fluorocarbon. Regardless of what the marketing teams at the leader mfrs will have you believe, you don't need it and people have successfully fly fished for a long time without it. For more info, see the recent article in Fly Fisherman on the environmental impacts of fluorocarbon tippet and lead weight.

As many have said before...that's just my two cents.

-Crock

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

Well the reason that I don't use it has always been the cost. I can get two or three spools of mono tippet for the price of one spool of fluorcarbon. Plus people seem to have problems with the tying of knots. No I will just stick with what I have been using as it seems to work. Just my $.02

Jim

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I'm with Crockett. I've tried fluoro and I'm not convinced of its superiority, at least enough to warrant the potential environmental damage. Do TU or any fishing orgs have further info on the subject?

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RiverFishing

Okay...let me see if I can summarize:

1. There are some differences from supplier to supplier as to the overall quality of material, but fishing line and leader material are basically the same item, though packaged differently and matketted to a target group with a reputation for being willing to spend a lot in pursuit of their flyfishing passion.

2. Leader material and tippet are different - the tippet material being stronger for the same cross-section.

3. The jury seems to be out as to whether or not fluorocarbon is really that much better than other materials.

4. There are some real environmental concerns about using flurocarbon.

This is what I gathered from the various responses, and it answered my questions and then some...thanks to all...and if there are any other two-cent pieces floating around, please send them along!

Mike

:thumb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.