Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Flyslinger
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in Roseburg OR starting 5.25.16 for a couple of weeks. I know that it is too late for winter Steelhead and too early for the summer runs in the Umpqua.
I did a little research today and did not find much information on trout in the local river?
I don't have a floating device so it will walk and wade.
Any local intel? And yes I want to know which rock to stand on and the flies to use.......

Thanks
jesse

·
Registered
555 Posts
I believe springers are in but I'm not sure if they're done yet. I also hear smallies can be good but I think those start later in the year.

If I was you I'd go above Glide and below steamboat. Only a few spots have redds and they're pretty obvious. Fish the tailouts and ledges with a floating line and you shouldn't have to worry about hooking a fish that doesn't want to eat. There won't be a lot of fish but there could be some summers by now.

If you've never been to the flywater before it's an amazing place. If you can swing it get a guide even for a half day. Feel free to pm me for more specific stuff.

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
When I fished it with a guide in March we saw some trout keying on March Browns, he said there is some good resident trout fishing; including Browns. I'd start by hot springs and work upstream. Diamond lake has had a good fishery for years, don't know current status since it was poisoned a few years ago. River below Roseburg known for smallmouth though as mentioned above it may be early, but if not I'd think they could be keying on downstream smolt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.