Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ugly member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a week off from work, so I went fishing over on the eastside.

Chopoka:
Hit it for the opener Saturday - monday afternoon.

Fishing:
Was hot. It really didn't seem to matter what you used or how you fished it, the fish were hungry and didn't care. Wind started in on monday and it is still blowing over there.
Crowd:
Was crowded, but everyone was friendly and cool. Not like the assholes who fished Lenice for the opener, no one was stomping their feet and crying because they weren't catching anything.
Hill:
Road is in good shape, but make sure your brakes are before you go up, or down. Mine went out on me on monday heading down the hill.

Aeneas:

Fishing:
Fishing was good. Hit it monday evening and tuesday morning. Then I decided to go to my uncles place and check out my brakes (had to fish and think about it first).

Crowd:
No one, I fished solo for the most part.

Dry Falls:
Fished there all day wensday and thursday.

Fishing:
Slow. Really friggin slow and windy. 1 fish to net on wensday and 2 to net and 1 ldr on thursday.

Crowd:
Hardly anyone, but it was the middle of the week also.

Rocky Ford:
Hit this friday during the day and at night.

Fishing:
Slow. A little better at night, but still slow. The fish also seemed lathargic.

Crowd:
The usual.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have towed my 12ft boat/trailer up there many times since the 80's.The key is to take your time going up and down,it is not a race,use your lower gears both ways.If going up when its hot out,pullover and take a beverage break at one of the scenic pullouts.If going down repeat the going up procedure.Remember also to stop at the store in Loomis for a Big Red out of the jar on the counter along with a cold beverage too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We too were at some eastside lakes from Wednesday to Sunday. Sounds like the weather got everyone. We caught some but usually only when the wind layed down for a short while each day.

·
Ugly member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a great trip. I have never been to Chopaka, but have heard the road is bad. How long is the bad stretch and would it be possible to tow in a small boat on a trailer?
The road is in really good shape. It is just steep. Too steep for my over loaded Geo Metro to handle. I'm going back in about a week and half (more vecation time). This time I'm bringing the truck for the hill though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is also another road one can take instead of going up the hill or down. Instead of going right to go up the hill go left instead. This road winds around the back side. Not steep like the big hill. Time wise is about equal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oops, yeah it's been a good six years since I used the back way. Always just go straight up the hill myself.

·
For him there whould always be the riddle of steel
797 Posts
I came in the back route, a few years ago in a mini van. You all sure its closed down??

c/22

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.