Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, so today i went out and really put some miles in i felt like, i started from Sultan and drove all the way up Hwy 2 tell i hit the 17 miles tell Skykomish sign, and drove all the way back down i hit all the turn outs and checked things out. I did find High bridge today, thanks for the help every one, and i walked it down river around the bend and then some more down river a little ways, looks like a lot of pocket water there. Did not see and fish or catch anything.

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,371 Posts
That's great DJ! Keep exploring and before you know it, you'll be the one people are asking for advice! If you get tired of not seeing fish on the Sky and just want to catch something, head up river with a lighter rod and check out some of the small tributaries to the South Fork of the Sky - the Foss, Miller, Tye, etc. Throw a bushy dry (Humpy, Royal Wulff, Stimulator, etc) or Adams and you'll be into lots of pretty but small fish. Have fun exploring and learning your local waters!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Spotting dime bright steelhead is not an easy task, and its definitely an acquired skill, and some are better than others.

Please excuse me if my comments or questions seem too basic, but based on your bridge finding skills, I feel I must start slow...(ok, that's good natured ribbing at your expense, but since you have remained here, and busted your butt searching for fish, I guess we are stuck with you! Observe the sh*t that goes back and forth between Mumbles and OMJ, friendly barbs can be common here. Although, Mumbles does seem to have some sort of Mancrush on the Old Guy...)

Anyway...

Do you own a good pair of polarized glasses? If not get the best you can afford! Don't get them at Walmart, consult a local fly shop in your area! They will gladly endure your questions if you are a paying customer, and they might actually give you some good advice san BS which I feel obligated to include.

Follow the advice Freestone provided. It may take you years to catch your first steelhead, but trout are more plentiful and cooperative.

Learn your local rivers, and prepare for the upcoming salmon run. The Sky, below the forks, the Wallace and the Snoqualmie are open for salmon in September, ( CHECK THE REGS, including the section on how to ID fish!!! http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/2010/2010sportregs.pdf ) Salmon are more plentiful than steelhead. You can familiarize yourself on these rivers now fishing for trout, steelhead and dollies and you will better prepared for the upcoming salmon run.

Check out the local fly shops for any classes they might offer.

Hire a guide! Consider spending a few bucks, it will save you time and money in the long run. Find out if any of them offer walk-in trips as opposed to fishing from a boat. Look here for a list of guides: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/content.php/51-Washington-Fly-Fishing-Guides

Try to convince someone on here to put up with you for a day on the river. Offer to pay for gas, buy lunch, help shuttle the boat, or some such incentive.

Good luck!

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Observe the sh*t that goes back and forth between Mumbles and OMJ, friendly barbs can be common here. Although, Mumbles does seem to have some sort of Mancrush on the Old Guy...)
Trust in Freestone and Split Bamboo. Although I don't have a mancrush on any guys I have met Old Man Jim and enjoy the abuse he often sends my way. I met him at one of the larger WFF member gatherings to fish (which you should also add to your to do list to meet, enjoy and learn from many here that know A LOT of stuff) and I'll hope to meet him for fishing again anytime.

I'm surprised that no one has told you "Read what Mumbles says and do the opposite". There, now it has been said. Some of the things not openly stated in Freestone's great advice or Split Bamboo's follow on are these: Fishing for trout in rivers will teach you a lot about hatches, fish behavior, hydrodymanics, where fish hold, feed, move...how they react and you can also work on your presentation techniques that might end up becoming a benefit to your steelhead nymphing, swinging or skating techniques. Steelhead are big ocean going trout, right? Many posts you can find by searching here will say it is not about enticing them as they are eager players...tougher is finding them. I caught a fair share of steelhead on gear, so far that has not been the case with flies...but I'm having a lot more fun in the search and challenge. Best of luck.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Why do I have to be drug into every thread with mumbles.

Now that you did the Hiway 2 thing, maybe you can get a good map and start doing the roads off of Hiway 2. Lots of small water up in the Skykomish area. Good luck.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
DJ patience and perserverence are the things to stick to, Take your time and stick to it, keep learning all you can, listen, search, read, talk to people and you'll be rewarded eventually with friends, fishing buddies and fish. These guys on the forum will jump on you usually just for fun if you give them an opening so grin and bear it and give it back. The majority are good guys and in all you will gain from what you do. They all will usually wish you luck and love to hear your reports as you see from today. Good luck have fun!!

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
DJ, Old Man Jim probably has the best advice here. If I were in your shoes, I'd listen to him.

Let me elaborate: Fishing for steelhead is an advanced endeavor. If you're just starting out flyfishing, that is a very very tough way to begin. The reason is that you won't catch many (or any) fish. The real impact to a beginner of not catching fish is that you get zero feedback about whether you're doing things right or wrong simply because there are so few willing steelhead to fish over. Your fly may not even be seen by a steelhead for days and days, so how on earth could you know if you're fishing for them correctly or not?

Instead, what I always tell beginners is to focus on fishing smaller waters filled with small trout (which is, I think, what Jim is suggesting). You're guaranteed to float your fly by hundreds of fish per outing, and thus even by accident you're likely to catch fish. This will provide you the feedback you need to understand what you're doing right or wrong. If you go to one of the forks of the Snoqualmie or the many small streams along Rte 2, you'll start by catching 3 or 10 fish per day, and you'll learn from that. You'll notice, "Hey, when I do 'A' I catch fish, but when I do 'B' I dont" on numerous factors. You'll start to put it all together over time. You'll get really good at catching those little fish and all the things that need to come together to make that success happen. Then you'll be ready to tackle the rare and elusive steelhead...in a few years.

Just my 2 pence.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Man, if I was back in Washington now I still wouldn't be hitting the little skinny water. Too damn much runoff yet. I'd give it until the around the Forth of July and after and then hit the smaller water. If you have a good map and lots of time I'd be hitting the Foss, West fork Foss, Miller river, Beckler River, Rapid River. When I was a lot younger, we'd find a place to park and then beat the bushes to get down to the rivers. Hell, even the creeks were fun to explore. Some don't look like much until you get away from the road. The Forth of July creek comes to mind.

These are not secret places. Just places that you don't fish close to the road. And at the right time of the year, you will be surprised as to what is in those places. But that is something you have to figure out.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Don't forget the rivers between Castle Rock and Portland, I know for you Puget Sound guys we might as well be in another state but you have the Toutle, which is coming back, the Cow, the Kalama, Lewis both forks, Washougal and so on. These are smaller rivers than the Sky and you can manage them easier AND there's no sales tax in Oregon. Fishermans Warehouse is right accross the border and a new Dicks Sporting Goods is there right by HOOTERS. PM me,I've offered many times to show off our rivers to our northern friends, ie: Jason. It's really not like Deliverance down here

·
Registered
648 Posts
I know for you Puget Sound guys we might as well be in another state
OK, so lets put a theory to a test...back in the Good Ol' Days, when there was a Sonics-Blazer rivalry...who did you root for? Hmmm?

It is true you have great rivers down there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.