Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attempted to fish the Suiattle. Yes, I stress the first word of the first sentence. "Attempted." It certainly was at the wrong time (afternoon) of a rather hot day (this last Sunday). Of course, the river was milky with glacier rock flour, though the flow wasn't that unreasonable for fishing. Despite the lack of fish success, I was surprised to see some very large mayfly nymphs and even what I think were yellow--and these were solid yellow--sallie stonefly nymphs. I tried to take pictures of these, but I managed to muff the attempt. Despite my lack of fish, the river was a wonder to behold. Definitely, I will have to revisit this location that Margaret and I found. I think that either waiting for a hatch or returning when it's colder up high and the glacier isn't melting off hard would yield more productive fishing. Either that or tossing black and chartreuse nymphs might help. ;) Any of you ever fish the Suiattle with success? What were the conditions like?

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

That river is a hard one to figure out. It is only open from June 1st to the end of October. These are the hottest months of the year when all the glacier melt is in the river. If you can find a place where a creek or what runs in you can usually fish that and you can actually catch fish. I have been on the river before the hot days start up and it was clear. I have heard that it is good for Dollies. It is good about the first two weeks of June and it would be good when it gets colder out but when it's colder out it is closed.

Also if you do a little driving around on some of the roads off the river you can find a few beaver ponds up in that area.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.