Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Been Out fishing the last two days and haven't had any time to bug everyone. Well I will now and I don't care. Tuesday me and mtlhead went out to do battle with some trout. Well he caught the one and only fish in all day of battling them. It was a monster about 5" I think. He caught it out of Clear creek in the upper reaches. Looked at some beaver ponds and even fished one. Boy why are all the fish so tight lipped this year. No matter what is used they don't seem to hit anything. Had a few hits but no takers.

Went out today with flybill and it was the same results. We fished the S/F Snoqualmie above exit 38. I should of stayed home but if I did I wouldn't of had such a wonderful time.

Well this is all for know. A useless fishing report.

Jim:thumb

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Jim.

Not a useless report at all. Like an old mentor once told me they call it FISHING not CATCHING! Did you have a good day? So what did you see and did you have to answer the phone? Heck if you catch that record fish every time out how fun would that be? For the benefit of another. At least you got out and covered some water and that is what it is all about as far as I am concerned.
That's more than I did. I worked at chasing down work.

Dave
:beer2

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,846 Posts
I agree and I was there, today at least. A good day on the water and in the sun! As my dad used to say, the fishing was good, the catching now that's a different story.

You did however fail to include a few things, such as the great spot we found where it is possible to sit and fly fish... now you don't find that everyday. Not to mention checking out some very nice new spey rods and cool tying materials. And of course some additional exploration and discovery of where to go next time!

All in all a great day!! Thanks and see you out there next time!

Bill :beer2

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I didn't want to bring up the sitting down fly fishing because of the abuse that I could come up with if certain people read it. But when you get older and your back begins to hurt you look for spots like that. And now as I sit here stinking I think I know how to get rid of that back pain. I notice that when I take my vest off it seem to lessen the pressure on my back. So I think I will look into a chest pack. Anybody know of a cheap chest pack.

Jim

·
Be the guide...
5,157 Posts
Also just start packing lighter. I'll bet you carry a lot of stuff you don't really need. They do make some pretty compact chest packs that force you to scale down what you carry. This can be a good thing for many of us gear mongers... Also, a fanny pack, butt bag, or whatever may be what you need. No weight to bother the back. Works fine as long as you don't wade over your hips often...
Cabelas carries quite a few chest pack models that may be worth looking into if you feel like too much of a '****' wearing a butt bag (just don't let the team rugged boys see you wearing it...).

·
Patrick
1,792 Posts
Fred Myers sells a 3 pouch fanny pack in their fishing tackle box area that holds all I need for small stream fishing. The price is right at only $9. I use two of the pouches for fly boxes and one for the rest or the junk. Keeps things really light and when wading into deep water just more it higher up your body. Only thing it does not work for is a place for a net. But I have yet to need a net on small streams for fish under 12". Just reach down and remove the hook while the fish is still in the water works for me just fine.

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Oh no I can't go with less. I need all the flys with me or else how can I match what is coming off. Like BobL says you need about a thousand flies. I was in that mode of taking less like getting one fly box instead of four and I don't need all them different size tippet's. I guess that I should just down size and shut up. But I've started to carry a digital camera for taking pictures of fish thatI never catch. Well I guess a fanny pack will have to do as I don't like wading to deep as my waders are only waist high. These also help my back.

Jim

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Jim,
In one of your above posts, you wrote, "And now as I sit here stinking, I know how to get rid of back." Now, Jim, my friend, what does sitting around stinking have to do with back pain? I have back pain and I've done a lot of sitting around stinking. But the back pain does not go away? Am I stinking too much or too little?
Bobi }(

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I'm not a very good typist. I make many misteakes. You should see what it looks like before I sent it. I don't think that you could even read it. But it's getting close to my bed time and I am getting tired fingers. I do the typing with just two fingers.

Jambo:professor

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I took your advice and got one of those fanny packs. Darn near every thing that I had in my vest fits in one of those three pouches including my digital camera. And since I haven't the need to wade over my waist I think that I will be just fine..

Jim

·
Ignored Member
12,139 Posts
The very reason I like steelheading. Not much stuff needed. A box of flies. A spool of leader. A rod and reel. Maybe a couple of tips. Nippers. Hook file. A river.:smokin

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

That's why I like to river fish and I was going to go out today but it was too damn hot for me. I really don't like the heat. If it stays around 70 degrees I like it fine. This weather really saps my strength and at my age I don't have much left.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.