Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was stuck down near Westport while all the partygoers were reveling at Miked's place. When I drove home along the coast road toward Forks on sunday I was right in the middle of the most unbelieveable blow of rain and tree branches and downed trees, fallen power lines etc. Just about every little creek along the way was still fishable though the rivers were really blown out and muddy. You would think with the risk of being crushed by a tree limb that most fishermen would be safe at home... Just about every little coastal creek had a few people fishing them. No, I was not one of them. I had thought to load up everything before I left for Westport on saturday morning, rods, reels bags etc. And when I got down there I realized I had no waders or boots in the truck. I chainsaw would have been helpful too. It's surprising how good the fishing can be at the early stages of flooding, when the adjacent creeks are just coloring up and the mud and tannin isn't too bad. There was once a great article in Gray's Sporting Journal, it was called:" The Propitious Moment", and it was about that time in the early stages of a storm, or an impending storm, when the fish just go nuts for your fly. Next time I'll pack my boots and waders, and chainsaw. So sorry to have missed you all.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I, too, have had this experience which I think only happens once or twice in a lifetime. Sometimes I've been a little early. Should have stayed on another day. Then, once on the Mattole (sp.) River in Northern California, using the head lights of my truck as I pulled in to camp for the night, this dude comes up with a 15 lb. buck which was pure silver as we were within the crashing sound of the breakers hitting the beach. But it rained like the Missouri that night and the water was unfishable in the morning. Waited three days for it to drop and during that time the rains never stopped. A tad late here.
But once, I saw the bar blow out on the Navvaro River in Nor. Cal. and the silvers just poured into the first hole. Out of nowhere, boats appeared and guys started nailing these huge 15+ coho. I had no boat. No knowledge of anything usefull. So I got skunked. If I had known what I do now...if...if
BOBLAWLESS :CONFUSED

·
been around
118 Posts
been there absoulutly nailed them one day at abernathy creek as the elocoman blew out we look for water to fish they look for water to lay in on the skagit some of my best days are as the sauk goes out and the dams aon the skagit zip up tight love that color line between clear and cloud makes the river smaller

john

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.