Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing the nextcast fall favorite 70

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simon, you really did a great job designing and making this line.
I fished the Nextcast Fall Favorite 70 7/8 68' belly 680 grains on my G Loomis 15' 8/9 today. The short of it is it is a very nice line. One of the things that I really liked was it has a really large sweet spot when cast with my rod. I could hold the 68' head at the tip or I could strip it in and hold it at my finger and the line still cast well. Waist deep I could still cast the whole head plus shoot some without any problems. Deeper I only had to pull the head in the rod about a foot or two. For this old man with my casting skills this is quite an accomplishment. Needless to say this will be my line of choice for this summer and fall.

I tried a couple of different leaders with it but settled on 8' of 30# 2' of 20# 2 'of 15# and 3' of 10# all Maxima Ultra green. This gave a nice turnover to any of the flies I tried.

Still Smilin

Skilly

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Bruce, Googled the line and it appears it only comes in a 10/11 ... or did I miss something. Ask as the Carron lines are the best full floaters I've ever used. (Lines were actually given to me by "Jimmie Jack" and his wife Gweneth).
Fred

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dutch, I believe that many US lines would be seen by Europeans as a weight or two higher than we see them. That is a US 7/8 would work well on a British or European rod labelled 8/9. The reverse is true coming the other way. If I picked up a LeCie rod rated 8/9, I would expect a RIO 7/8 to be a starting point to find the best line. I have found the AirFlo lines close to the US designation.

·
2,879 Posts
Dutch's post is tongue-in-cheek. Bruce said that European lines are rated higher than they really are, and Dutch was simply making the point that those were actually the original line ratings. North American line ratings came later. Consequently to Europeans, they're accurate, while to us they are off. By the way Dutch, congrats on the World Cup. I'm not into soccer, but as a Dutchman, it's exciting to see the Netherlands succeed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tuna,

You are correct about the tongue-in-cheek.
I don't care much about the ratings, I go by the grains. Much easier and they are all over the world the same.

Just one hurdle to take before becoming the World Champion and it's a big hurdle.
But if we start playing soccer the way we are used to, it should work out fine.

By the way, if you want to reach anyone in The Netherlands on Sunday-evening, think again.
Nobody will answer as we as a country will be closed.:rofl:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.