Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a search only one gent has identified a flint hills vest as an option. Does anyone have one? If so, what are your thoughts. I've got packs and pouches galore. I have tried a lot of vests but most have so much room that I over stuff them and they are bulkier than me, or close to it. I like that the pockets here are internal, not sewn atop the vest shell making large bulging three dimensional line catching obstructions. Who out there has input on this specific vest or another of a minimalist vest style that has a smooth appearance? Thanks.

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
That looks like a good option for minimalizing entaglements and sticking to a vest. I cant seem to minimalize any less than a Simms Headwaters Hip/Chest pack. I usually get what I need and spin it to my back side. Don't think that would work well with the Big boy Raft. I recently aquired a Fishpond Wildhorse from our New Mexico friend Jeff. Still waiting to use it. The bulge pockets are lower down and slightly to the sides. Lot's of pockets but besides the two fly holder pockets [the bulges] it is still fairly streamline. I'll let you know how it performs as soon as I get to test drive it. [This could take awhile].

·
Love vintage graphite!
1,125 Posts
As vests go, that Flint Hills looks to be a nice one, but, all the vests I've seen have way too much capacity for me and, of course, I feel the need to fill it up. I've gone pretty minimalist. I now use a Fishpond San Juan Vertical Chest Pack, worn not as a chest pack, but simply slung over a shoulder. I carry one large C&F box, two small nymph boxes, a few extra leaders and a few dingley-dangley things on the outside. If I need to start taking lunches, spare clothes, water bottles/purifiers, etc. I'm gonna go with a daypack like one of the new Simms.
The biggest problem with a vest is that they conceal the illustration on my Pink Floyd t-shirt, which, as you probably know by now, attracts trout!:thumb:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have never tried that vest but i too grew tired of getting my line tangled on all the tools, pockets and fly patches attached to my fly vest. I bought my self the Catalyst by William and Joseph and that has fixed my problems. holds everything i need, has a sweet tippet dispenser, has retractors for tools, also one of the pockets when open functions as a work station which has saved me from dropping flies in the water. And all of this fits around my waist so i can spin it to the front when i need something, then spin it around to my back so everything is out of my way. Just thought i would add my $.02 because i wanted to solve a similar issue. you can see it in my Avatar

-Connor

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Ahhh, for those who can remember that far back....a quart of Colt 45 with a few healthy swigs out of it and topped of with a bottle of Pagan Pink Ripple. :ray1:
Oh man...those were the days!:thumb:
And some of you guys thought you knew how to drink.......:rofl:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Ahhh, for those who can remember that far back....a quart of Colt 45 with a few healthy swigs out of it and topped of with a bottle of Pagan Pink Ripple. :ray1:
Oh man...those were the days!:thumb:
And some of you guys thought you knew how to drink.......:rofl:
I wouldn't bring that to the Hoh Down Mark, or Lonnie might want to share some of his Dickle with you :)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Oh well, shit. 3
That ruins a good memory all to hell.
:beathead:

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a riot! Now about that vest? I might need to make sure my local fly shop guy has one in stock in case the misses drops in and looks around.

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,159 Posts
Mumbles, I went with a Solstice-less bulky pockets. Don't know which model, but it's all mesh. Even that one really interferes with Spey casting. Her Ladyship's got a fishpond, and likes it though.

My God, Mark: you already got my stomach churning with the thought of that Pagan Pink shit! Almost as bad as 7-Eleven's "Night Train" (Barfs now!!!)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
"What's the word? Thunderbird! What's the price? Mighty nice! $1.39 a gallon!"

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
The Flint Hills vest looks promising. I'd like to see it in person. I would look closely at the positioning of the buckles. Buckles on or near the shoulders could get in the way of other stuff you carry slung over your shoulders like float tube, fins, net, etc. Other than that, zingers, thermometers, forceps and all the other crap we carry can just as easily be clipped or tied to the inside of your vest to avoid snags.

TC

·
fly fisher
1,023 Posts
Hey Ed,

As I mentioned in the PM message, I've got one I've been using this spring. One really nice feature -- if you use the vest year-round -- is that it is widely adjustable at the shoulders and waist. That is the shoulder straps and waist strap can be lengthened or shortened via simple webbing ladder lock buckles. So if can be adjusted to fit in the summer of a simple T-shirt, and it also fits in the winter over a puffy jacket, Gore-Tex shell and any other number of layers without being overly tight or confining.

I love the minimalist nature of the design, too. Just enough pockets to hold two or three small fly boxes and a handful of tools/accessories. And very lightweight for a functional vest.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.