Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
........tied on a snelled hook: 1x shock tippet plus #6 Octopus hook.
Tied on a horizontal length of spinner wire, and then slipped off the
temporary wire mandrel once done. (two vises face to face, where
one is a rotary, and the other has a swivel in the vise jaws. The .020"
wire has an open loop in one end, so you can hook the open loop
into the swivel. Now you can spin the rotary vise, which spins the length
of the wire mandrel. Tie a snelled hook onto the wire. Cover with
spawn sack. Tie on barbells. Wind with hackle. Slide the fly off
the wire mandrel. Put a drop of Tear Mender at both ends.

The finished fly is loosey-goosey flexible. It ripples from end to
end if you jig it as you slooowly pull it in. Sinks quickly too.
Why I don't know. But flexible flies sink faster than stiff ones.
This fly sinks faster than a stiff, long-shanked Woolly Bugger
of the same size.

You can make them as light or as heavy as you need, depending
on barbel size. Called the ....????
Thingamajig? Rigamajig?
Which Doctor? ....what would you call it?


431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>> Thanks for sharing these info with us

Thanks Peter:

That's about all I have to say about these flies right now. You can swap colors and feathers around
to tie a variety of patterns this way. Right now I need to practice the tying more. I'll work on what more
to say about them them later. I need a name too. I'm leaning towards 'Slinkies' as a generic
term for long flexible streamers tied directly onto a snelled hook: heavy, sparsely-tied
and flexible from end-to-end.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.