Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been into Fly Fishing for quite some time and I find it very Therapeutic to both mind and soul. I often wonder why there are so few of us out there, but then again enjoy not sharing waters with hundreds of others!

I have had the luxury of going on several guided trips and they are by far the most fun I've had which brings me to my next point. As you all know they are not cheap to pull off but can be worth every penny spent at times.

I am attending a Fly fishing Guide Academy this year in Montana and want to better tone my skills and be able to take folks out to enjoy the very thing I enjoy most.

I am not starting a business but instead want to teach people the art and bless them with the opportunity and gear to go along with it at no cost. We have all spoken with those who say they've always wanted to try fly fishing but just never got into it or had the money/time for it.

I have a few extra rods/reels to get people started that I use for beginners but I'd like to hook people up with small boxes of flys to start out with and some of the basics to keep them going. If anyone has any abundances of flies/ used gear and are willing to part with them I'd be willing to pay for them at reasonable prices to help get the ball rolling for this.

Thanks!

·
Huge Member
5,193 Posts
Does orvis still do that free pack of 10 flies thing? Might be a good way for newbs to get a basic pack going.

I’d think if you get them out there then they are on their own after that. It isn’t a super expensive sport if you don’t want it to be but you do have to be able to buy flies/tippet on a regular basis.

Good luck man, noble cause. I’d love to help out but my trout boxes are all rusted out.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you plan on taking new anglers out the rods need to be easy loading and moderate in action, the guys on this forum have mostly moved on to faster and more expensive gear. Ebay has lots of echo base setups and reddington clasic trouts and paths that would fit a beginner for under a hundred. As to flies they are pretty specific to water and time of year and best really sharp, I've got tons of flies that are pretty but I will never fish with and those are the ones you will probably get buying MISC bulk flies at an online flea market.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.