Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Id like to hit a few king county lakes this summer for some perch, bluegill, crappie and maybe even some bass. Only problem is that i really havent a clue what to try. Ive heard of woolly buggers, woolly worms and even maggot imitations being used. What else would some of you reccommend???

Tyler

"Fly-fishing is the most fun you can have standing up."

- Arnold Gingrich

·
Old School Member
830 Posts
I caught more bluegill than I could count last week on a foam beetle...they also hit a pink san juan worm very consistently....

Also nailed a 12 pound carp...and spooked a 5 pound LMbass....

Small lake near white salmon ( columbia)

-Piscean

G

·
Little yellow poppers are great for panfish and you get that topwater take. I too like a little lake near White Salmon. I do pretty well with black insects like ant patterns and beetles.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Frog-green foam popper flies flicked under low branches can be monster for bass, and the flies don't have to be that large. A 6wt double taper line can turn over the small to medium ones well enough.

As an experiment, you might try tying a brown bead-head woolly bugger on a curved hook. Also, include flat or oval gold tinsel between the hackle. I made one of these, and had a sick good time at Bay Lake, nailing the bluegill, crappie, and occasional bass in shoreline water.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Most of my biggest bluegill have come on a #12 bead head zug bug. Fished slow. This has outproduced the buggers and woolly worms i've tried by a large margin. Poppers are fun, but don't produce the big boys as well as subsurface.

I also fish a small red/white clouser for crappie that has been excellent for big bluegills and the occasional bass as well.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Size 12 or 14 black or brown woollybugger always works for me. Very the retrieve from handtwist to medium fast strip. Also done well on my own beadhead made with Canadian Brown mohair and florescent fire orange thread.

Randy

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have had great luck with crappie in King county using little yellow poppers in the spring. The ones with the red flames on them work best for me. Green mountain damsels work really great sub surface with copper wrap and a little flash in the tail. The Bass are definaltly starting to wake up, will get em' up top using big stuff soon. Pound for pound! :thumb

·
Registered
978 Posts
Zug bugs for the gills and pumkin'seeds. Size 8 wooley buggers in green, black, yellow, or red, for crappie. Bigger buggers for bass. And here's a good recipie for a fly that'll take everything...back half black chenile,middle of fly 4-6 rubber legs, front half orange chenille. Cheap tip here, if you want a life time supply of rubber leg material cut open a bungee cord, the individual cords inside the bungee cords are round and tie easier than the flat strip stuff that you buy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never thought bought using the bungee cord fibres till you said that... good idea.

Sounds like theres a variety of things that can be used to catch these guys. :thumb

Tyler

"Fly-fishing is the most fun you can have standing up."

- Arnold Gingrich

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
There is nothing more fun than poppers and pan fish. Yellow or lime green. My favorites are called Sneaky Pete's. They can be bought from Cabelas. For sub surface sun fish a gold rib hairs ear is my old faithfull.

·
Flaccid Member
3,900 Posts
what do i know, im just a kid

when you pick out your poppers or tie your own, make sure that the point of the hook rides considerably lower than the bottom lip of the popper (if that makes sense). i bought some poppers last summer that were getting lit up, but i couldn't hook anything. thats when i noticed the hook point was sort of protected by the lip of the popper and when i would set the hook, the hook point wouldnt even touch the lips of the fish. i took some pliers and bent the hook downward, which helped, but i was still missing a ton more fish than i did with other poppers. i hope i explained that good.

anyways, girdle bugs in sizes 8-14 take most of my fish. those wiggly legs really convince them to take. they cant be beat when gills are on their beds. just cast and twitch erratically with lots of long pauses. beadhead woolies work good too but i get a lot of short strikes. last summer i caught lots of perch out of lake ki with a green carey special. as for poppers, green, black or white are my go to colors. bass especially go for the black ones. ive done well for bass with large hoppers, big black conehead woolies, muddlers fished both dry and subsurface, and of course girdle bugs.:thumb

~sean~

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
RiverFishing

Wow - great idea for the rubber leg material!

Mike :thumb

·
Flaccid Member
3,900 Posts
what do i know, im just a kid

yes, they were good sized. the first one i caught was the biggest i have ever caught anywhere, probably 12 inches. but i have seen schools of 2-4 inchers swiming around the shallows so they are definitely small ones in there.

try to keep what you catch to avoid overpopulation. i was hooking up regularly by the downed tree off the only real point on the lake. i also caught a few in the back side of the cove (very opposite end of the lake from the launch) near the house that is for sale. pretty vague directions i know but that lake is kind of featureless so it is hard to describe. we should get together and get after those spinyrays this summer :thumb

~sean~

·
Registered
96 Posts
sean, when i think of spinyrays i think crappie! been doing ok on trout. if you see a blue and white f-i50 parked, i'm out rowing about trolling flies. i never go past the downed tree, and don't fish the cove. i generally stay along the s/se side. pat o

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.