Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody here ever bought flies from cabelas website? They seem to be a very good bargain- like $3.00- $4.50 per 3 flies, which is far cheaper than any fly shop. Are Cabelas flies just poor quality, i.e. bad cheap hooks and materials, or are they able to offer good deals because so much volume is sold. Basically, is Cabelas like Costco for buying flies?

Huskytrout

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I just received a few Cabelas callibaetis nymphs - they look fine but I haven't fished them yet. Check out Hill's for real cheap flies. I buy quite a bit from them but the flies I get a fly shops are much higher quality.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Cabelas has a lot of stuff. I always save their catalog and study each item. I always start with "yea, I need that." Then I finished with "naw, that's just bunk and I'll never use it."
But buying from Cabela's has some drawbacks; purchases:
1. Do nothing for the local economy.
2. Hurts local fly shops which need your business to stay open.
3. Give no advise or discussion about hot spots.
4. Are often slow in being shipped.
5. No chance to try out anything without having to return it.
6. Sometimes the quality is cheap or poor.
7. It's embarrassing to have their logo on your stuff; like my waders say Cabelas in bold, large type on the front which makes me feel sort of poor and cheap when meeting other fishermen. A guy socked me once because of my waders.
8. I am sure there are more but I can't think of any.
Bob

:dunno :dunno

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Hmmmmmm, reply to buying local

I can actually truly say that I've never really got much of anything from buying local. I don't go in for reports. I think I only go in for the occasional quick buyup of gear or fly tying supplies I can't wait to get from my supplier.

But seriously. I never asked a report, in fact I'm the one who's asked. I fish so many variety of ways, most of the fly guys will ask me since I fish in any condition up to flood stages (have caught some of my biggest steelhead in muddy flood stages). So, I give more to the shop then they give me most of the time.

Overall, if the shop is top notch, gives good customer service, and doesn't do the Nordstrom lookover, they'll draw customers. You have to realize, that most of these "big companies" out there do donate to the local economies. Most buy their products they sell from local merchants. Keeping local tackle makers up and going buying stock from them. Most of these companies started small themselves. But good customer service built them to where they are today. Cabela's started as a small fly tyer in NE. My uncles knew Jim I think (they lived by them ALONG time ago LOL). I do believe my uncle said it was Jim, but he's not a fisherman, and it was quite awhile ago. So he doesn't care, just remembers the name. LOL But, they provided a good product, and good customer service, and expanded. The sell lamiglas, loomis, and many other WA tackle companies products, keeping them in business and also in a sense ADVERTISING for them. Building a following NATIONWIDE!!!!!! It's a give and take thing. I never descriminate because a store isn't local. I do believe Kaufman's has a store here, but they're from Oregon originally, but I doubt that stops guys from buying there. If Cabela's does decide to make a local shop, will that change some attitudes about them???? I know it's hard not having product there to try. But they do make it easy to return and are good about reimbursing/exchanging. I go back to Nebraska every two years for our family reunion (my family homesteaded most of SW Nebraska back in the early 1800's). So I have alot of family there. I ALWAYS stop by Sidney to see Cabela's. I have no problem wearing a Cabela's tag. Not all their stuff is "cheap". In fact, I have a guideweight jacket I bought over 8-10 years ago that is still going strong, still not leaking for being dryplus/goretex.

I have bought thier trout flies way back when. I tie all my own, but hated tying small dries for trout. I never had a problem, and they worked for me.

But, in long run, it depends on who you are and what you do. I grew up having to learn the rivers, match the hatches myself, tie my own flies (weren't alot of fly shops available in south puget sound back then). I never relied on shops. I learned all the run timings myself and what would catch fish. Why I use different gear for different waters. I know I have alot of info in my head, and NONE of it came from a flyshop/tackleshop. I know the few times I did need info on rods back in late 70's/early 80's I got blown off because I was a kid (that had money from his paperroute and could actualy buy decent stuff). I lost my taste for those couple shops I did have access to. So, for myself, they have no use for me. So I go where I get best deal and best service.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Ok,you say you tie flies commerically. Well my fine young friend,where can I see your work at. As I always want to spend my money,as little as it,is locally. Or do you send them all out somewhere else.

Jim

G

·
Different experience entirely!

A couple years ago I wanted to try flyfishing so I went to the Greased Line in Vancouver. The owner, Mark Noble, showed me his beginner packages, with the cheapest around $150. I went out and bought even cheaper stuff at GI Joes and got my leaders, flies and accessories from Mark. He gladly taught me the knots I had to learn, what flies to use and how to cast. I can call for any river report and advice. My favorite gift is a Gift Certificate from his store. When I do catch something I let him know about it and if I ask he'll keep it to himself. I would hate to think what my fishing would be like if I had to rely on Cabela's catologs and some of the "know it alls" with their secret spots and superiority complexes. The other day I was in his store and some loudmouth on a cell phone was bragging LOUDLY about catching 5 big fish in the Lewis that morning. It was a great story except for the fact that the Lewis was closed at that time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Different experience entirely!

I've got to say I have the opposite feeling about the Greased Line. Its not far from where I live, but I'll drive to Gresham to NW Flyfishing Outfitters. I kind of felt looked down on in the Greased Line since I go for trout and not steelhead. While over at NWFFO they are more into trout and everyone there is always very friendly.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I bought a couple of assortment fly packages from Cabela's when I first started out and the ones that weren't lost in trees, rocks, etc. caught fish. I think the best deal for flies locally is Outdoor Emporium - $0.79 for trout flies.

G

·

"I'm a
commercial tyer, so can them pretty cheap. But I
prefer to spend the extra money (even before discount).
Why spend all that money on good gear, and go cheap on
the most important thing of all, the thing holding the
fish."

Hey 'Header -
I thought this rationale made alot of sense in your reply to a hook-querry in this forum (starting with "Why spend..."). Does Cabela's use premium hooks and/or does anybody know what kind of hooks they use? And why do you can your hooks to save money??? JK, there...

:smokin

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
LOL Old Man

I tie for a clientele. I don't tie for flyshops. You don't make any money that way. They want a bulk of certain sizes for nearly nothing. I guess I'd be a "professional" tyer. I keep sane by tying for paying clients, and not having to sit at the bench hours on end tying a #4 green butt skunk for $0.90 each. I have a friend who is a top notch atlantic salmon tyer, and he was only being paid like $1.50 for dressed atlantic salmon flies. He found more money tying for clients who'll pay for the work.

I don't have a website up yet. I will eventually. If you'd like, I still have your address. I'll tie you up some flies (I only tie salmon/steelhead flies, no trout) and send them to you with a card. Free of charge.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
LOL Old Man

Well you know who I am as we met at the fishing show in Seattle. That is if you can remember all the faces that went with all the people that you talked to. I do fish for Steelhead and I try to tie my own but usually end up with wooly buggers as any thing else is kinda hard. My shakes take over when the going gets tough. I tried to tie up a trout fly today and as usual the shakes took over and I got frustrated. It's still in the vise and I'm in the house. And to answer your question the answer is yes.

Jim

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
LOL wildram, LOL

I guess I should've read that a little closer. I meant I'm a commercial tyer, so I can buy them pretty cheap.
Yes, I can buy hooks REALLY cheap. Usually I can buy Daiichi's almost at the cost of mustads. I buy most of my fly tying supplies at 50% to 75% below retail. But, if you sell to shops, you make virtually nothing. The fly shop makes the profit, though you do all the tying.

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
My first set of flies many a years ago were from Cabela's. Many fell apart before they even saw water. The rest fell apart after only a few fish. While I buy other stuff from them I no longer buy their flies. Most of mine come from Outdoor Emporium for the common ones and from fly shops for the rest.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Of course I remember you Jim

A very nice gentleman. Was a pleasure to meet you. Wish you could've stayed a bit, but I noticed you were pretty tired (almost exhuasted). BTW, was that ****** with you? He never introduced himself, was like a fly on the wall. LOL. You said his name, but not screen name. So had no idea who he was.

Will tie some up for you this week hopefully, and get out in mail for you. Been very behind due to my injury. Between taking care of my kids and doctors appts/physical therapy my days are gone. But will send you a selection of flies. Would be my pleasure.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Big Ben

Actually, what you percieve as a superiority complex may just be someone who's spent alot of hours researching spots, so try to keep secret. I learned to fish pre internet. I put A TON of hours researching holes. Studying rivers. Then to have rivers recut themselves almost every year. Then, finally finding consistent holes year after year. I did learn some places from my Dad. But I had to earn alot of them. He didn't just take me to his honeyholes just because I was his son. I did also learn about other rivers throught the NW from older gentlemn my Dad fished with. But they didn't start talking to me like I was a man until I could bait my own hooks, cast my own rod, and play/land my own fish. Once I proved I knew what I was doing, they slowly let me in on stuff. They NEVER freely gave info. So, I rarely give out info freely. Especially honey holes. I actually have 2 rivers that actually still are zippers. Never seen in magazines, and I have only seen a handful of locals (mostly guys that are on deaths door, rarely any new guys on it, and the new one's are old as well and local LOL). So, some not being snobbish, just protecting what they earned.

Now, a braggart telling about fish is different. But isn't the Lewis still open? I know there are still guys fishing it. Have a few friends who are guides down there and they're killing them right now. I do believe it's all springers, but you still catch steelhead incidentally. So, may have been legit.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Of course I remember you Jim

No that was mtlhead. He's also from this site. I wasn't tired I was getting hot as it was very warm in there that day and I don't like to get in to crowded of places. Don't rush on the flies as right now I'm not into Steelhead fishing and just reading about them. Just read "Steelhead and the Floating line" by Bob Arnold.

Well got to go as I'm thinking of going out and hit up some local waters.

Jim

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
No problem, but......

I do need you to resend your mailing address. I just realized I had deleted it.

I won't rush, but I try and do things right away. If I don't, they get pushed back and I forget (like your reindeer hair strips). I do have some tying to do (some clients, some for a fly swap) so will nail out a few for you. You can just hold onto them if you'd like. I'd rather have them done then forget.

Thanks

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
[email protected]

RiverFishing

Re: This guy is in Mt. Vernon and ties superb flies at a fair price."

I've purchased flies from this source and agree with the above. Very conscientious and customer-service oriented.

Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.