Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
That blue thing on the bottom is as ugly as it gets. It deserves a name. The blue bird turd? The Stellar Jay Turd? The Turd? I think whatever it's called, it has to have Turd in it.
And bottom right, the Proboscis Pheasant Tail. And middle row...The Midas Sausage? The Golden Gourd? The Tinsel Thunder?

Great idea for a thread btw.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That blue thing on the bottom is as ugly as it gets. It deserves a name. The blue bird turd? The Stellar Jay Turd? The Turd? I think whatever it's called, it has to have Turd in it.
And bottom right, the Proboscis Pheasant Tail. And middle row...The Midas Sausage? The Golden Gourd? The Tinsel Thunder?

Great idea for a thread btw.
I agree on many levels.
I thought this was an interesting thread idea also - Thanks.
What flies are you finding? From broken tippet - slipped knots?

Back to the turd ... solid blue on one side, and a basic grizzly hackle feather on the other side seems odd, but this fly was in the salt. It's a non-weighted fly - YET caught a 14" SRC slamming a fly about 3" below the surface.
Goldilocks got to baby, mama, and papa bear, the nymph formerly known as [someone's] prince, and a non-pc pt, all retrieved from fish, lead me to conclude ....

Don't judge a fly by it's re-cover.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I agree on many levels.
I thought this was an interesting thread idea also - Thanks.
What flies are you finding? From broken tippet - slipped knots?

Back to the turd ... solid blue on one side, and a basic grizzly hackle feather on the other side seems odd, but this fly was in the salt. It's a non-weighted fly - YET caught a 14" SRC slamming a fly about 3" below the surface.
Goldilocks got to baby, mama, and papa bear, the nymph formerly known as [someone's] prince, and a non-pc pt, all retrieved from fish, lead me to conclude ....

Don't judge a fly by it's re-cover.
Wait, you caught a fish on the blue turd fly? That's awesome!

And is that top left fly a boy or a girl?

·
Be Like Mike!
296 Posts
Back around 1982, I was out fishing for Steelhead with hardly any flies in my flybox, when I found a very well tied fly just sitting on a rock. I proceeded to tie on my new found treasure and promptly landed a 12lb buck. Before the term "Pay if Forward" became popular, I decided to put the fly BACK on the rock, and every time I land a Steelhead I continue to place the latest lucky fly so it will be found. So if you are sitting down on that perfect streamside log and spot a fly just sitting there, like someone placed it on purpose...You're Welcome. (D.O. I will just send you GPS co-ordinates)

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Before this thing called the internet came about I found several 3" round flat containers loaded with flies. Wooly Buggers and more. All in black. That was along time ago.

·
Registered
343 Posts
When I was a kid and had barely started fly fishing I found a yellow stimulator on the Yellowstone Rvr. I didn't know what it was. It was well worn, but not coming undone and the hook wasn't corroded. I imagined a master angler had lost a very powerful fly and was cursing himself for it. I put it in my box and it traveled around with me for years and years. Then I fished it once as a young teenager and it worked! Then I started fishing it a bit more frequently, and it worked some more! Props to the one who tied it. The thing must have been tied with kevlar thread - totally bulletproof.

Then I lost it, don't remember how, and I was profoundly sad. I felt like I had lost a Christmas gift my dad gave me and then I had to admit it to him. Should have retired it straight to the wall of fame after that first fish.

All goes to show that if you want to avoid heartbreak don't succumb to the siren call of that Bluefound Turder. You should retire it immediately.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I found a bright pink hopper in the bushes of the Flathead someone lost when the water was much higher. Pink!? Who the hell uses pink hoppers. But I tried it, and it worked. It worked really well. Better than any natural looking hopper pattern I've found yet.
I think I still have it floating around somewhere...

·
BigDog
3,554 Posts
I was fishing a popular spot on a popular stream in ID once upon a time when I hooked some willows on my backcast. When I went back to retrieve it, I saw the fly and reached for it, only to discover that it was not my fly, but one someone else had broken off in the same willow patch. That gave me pause to wonder about how many other flies were in those willows. So, I put my rod down and spent 5 minutes combing through those willows and came away with 8-10 more flies! They ranged from ones that looked like they had just come out of the vice to ones that were weathered and rusty.

I stick found flies in the carpet in my truck near the shift lever. There is quite a collection there at present. Occasionally I'll use one. However, in all the years I've been fly fishing, I can count on one hand, with a couple fingers left over, the times I've caught a fish with another fly already stuck in its mouth. One time it was my own fly that I had broken off in it just a half hour earlier.
D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.