Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about floating between Lewisville Park and Daybreak Park in my pontoon, any tips or thoughts?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's now or never as the water level starts dropping from now till this summer, you would have to drag your boat most of the way.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
I'm not sure what the boulder configuration is around the Lewisville bridge now, I heard there's something to watch out for. Otherwise it's a pretty straight forward float. Used to be lots of summer runs this early, but I don't know if that's any longer the case. Good luck.

Sg

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Here is the link to the flows: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/uv/?station=14222500 .

You can get a drift boat and 2 guys down that section with flows as low as 400 cfs. Below 400 you will probably get hung up in unsafe places. Between 400 and 600 cfs its doable but you better get it right. If you get it wrong, you can damage or swamp a hard boat. I don't know about a pontoon. Maybe some of the other guys can chime in on that.

There are 2 tricky rapids. The first is just above the bridge at the lower end of Lewisville Park. Some boulders on the left at the lower end force you right of center. The river here drops fast and you pick up speed. What appears to be safe passage is obstructed by 2 rocks lying just under the surface. You have to move as close as you can to the right bank to avoid the rocks. If you hit the subsurface rocks, you damage a chine or worse. If you get tangled up in the right bank you are equally screwed.

The second rapid to be concerned about is maybe 1/4 mile below the bridge. Enter that rapid in the center, move clear to the right then clear to the left. If you hang up here it can be a pain in the ass to say the least.

It would be a good idea to float these 2 rapids first time with someone that has done it before. Lots of guys float this stretch every year in flows low and high. It's not rocket science. On the hand, a boat gets sunk here every few years so there is some real danger.

Shoot me PM if you have an open seat. I'd be happy to ride along if I can get away. I can at least show you how to do the upper rapid then get out under the bridge. You can finish then the float your own.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've lived here and fished the east fork since I was 10yrs old or so but never floated it. I'm 53 and figure I better do it before it's to late. They call that stretch below the bridge the widow maker so we'll be careful there. Other that that I can't remember anything to out of hand. I appreciate all the info here though. I fish both parks atleast twice a week and have allways wanted to float between them, how long does it take? With the rain we're getting now it should move fish up this area. We're going June 5th, anyone else wanting to pontoon down and fish is welcome to tag along, unfortunatly I don't have a 2 seater. Plan taking lots of pictures and hopefully bring to hand a couple brite ones too!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rick, we're going down June 5th, you can tag along if you would like. Lewisville Park is a couple miles north on HWY 503. Jim Riggins

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
I hit the rapid just above the bridge in an aluminum canoe in the late 70's.
It was nasty.
The canoe catapulted me and the 3 other occupants out and put a huge dent in the canoe.

You can launch a drift boat below the bridge if you have a long rope. This avoids the rapid at the upstream side of the highway.

I have floated the section starting at the bridge and ending at daybreak park a couple of times in drift boats during higher flows of winter. There is one rapid below the bridge called "widow maker" that is tricky, but very doable in higher flows if you use caution. . I got out the the drift boat each time to survey the "widow maker" rapid before committing to the rapid. I studied it from upstream and downstream. Look at it closely. It is a little deceptive when viewed from a ways upstream. I changed my line after viewing it close up. I would suggest you beach the toon, walk down and take a close look at widow maker. Or better yet, portage around widow maker if you are uncomfortable running it the first time.

Be safe. No fish is worth drowning over. I imagine the widow maker is harder to run in low flows than in higher flows.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Greg, what started out as a simple float trip has turned into an event. Maybe we will re-think this little trip, at least take a closer look at ti.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
I've also done this float in a canoe, a fiberglass one. While the bridge area is tricky, it's navigable. Since Jim is contemplating this float in a pontoon, if it's a one-man pontoon, I'll assume he can just stand up and carry his boat around any water that looks too hazardous to float. Jim, if you've fished this river for forty years, and wear waders taller than hip boots, and are competent enough to troll a fly around Battleground Lake, you probably have sufficient skill to float this section of the river. However, there are some people in this world who will never be able to float any boat down any river safely, and if you're one of them, at least wear a PFD until you know for sure that you're not one of them.

Sg

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I all ways wear my PFD, never had to use it yet but I wear it. I fished Lewisville park last Sunday and brought one to the bank right above the big rope swing on a black wooley bugger of all things. I stopped on the bridge and took a look see at the widow maker. It might be bad in a drift boat or a canoe but I think we'll be OK in the toon. If thousands of half drunk kids can make it down the river in inner tubes, I think we can too. After we float this one we are going down from Merwin Dam to the hatchery, heard the sleds don't go that high so we don't have to worry about getting ran over. There should be lots of fish in the river now from all the rain we've been getting, we'll see Going to Hood Canal for some steamers and try for sea run cutts, my clousers are ready!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was, took my dad out for the first time in years due to cancer stuff. If you know the swimming hole at Lewisville then you know the picnic tables are near the river. When I hooked it dad jumped up and scrambled down to the river to help. I wanted to hand him the pole but he just wanted to watch. I've been gettiing on him to go fishing with me for years, his old Lamiglas just sits collecting dust in the garage. Yes he is an old gear fisherman of 79yrs old. I gave him the fish, he gave me his pole to take home and get it ready. I lubed the old Mitchell 300, new 10# Tri line, thats all he used to use, cleaned up the pole, sanded the handle a little and tied on a new spinner. I haven't seen that gleem in his eyes for years! Next week we are going to the Kalama. I've got my old fishing buddy back! He helped me catch my first steelhead on the Lewis when I was 6 years old. Now I'll be doing all the tying I'm sure. Nothing better than fishing with your dad.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
It was, took my dad out for the first time in years due to cancer stuff. If you know the swimming hole at Lewisville then you know the picnic tables are near the river. When I hooked it dad jumped up and scrambled down to the river to help. I wanted to hand him the pole but he just wanted to watch. I've been gettiing on him to go fishing with me for years, his old Lamiglas just sits collecting dust in the garage. Yes he is an old gear fisherman of 79yrs old. I gave him the fish, he gave me his pole to take home and get it ready. I lubed the old Mitchell 300, new 10# Tri line, thats all he used to use, cleaned up the pole, sanded the handle a little and tied on a new spinner. I haven't seen that gleem in his eyes for years! Next week we are going to the Kalama. I've got my old fishing buddy back! He helped me catch my first steelhead on the Lewis when I was 6 years old. Now I'll be doing all the tying I'm sure. Nothing better than fishing with your dad.
Jim, thanks for sharing that and I hope you get to enjoy countless more trips to the river with your dad. Many of us are not as fortunate. I have been blessed with fine company on many fishing adventures, but sharing that with my dad would truly be special. Ed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.