Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Hey you all. How did the float trip go. Was it no good or did you all slay em and don't want to talk about it.

Jim

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jim,
Just haven't had the chance to report on the trip till now. So let me start this way. First I want to thank Bryan for putting us together even though he couldn't make the trip. Next I want to thank Andrew. Andrew brought his drift boat and allowed me to hitch a ride. Bill from Issaquah gave me the lift to the Sky. And I would be remiss if I didn't also thank John and Bob, if for no other reason than putting up with me.
So there were five of us altogether. We met at 7AM at Ben Howard and shuffled off to Sultan about 7:30. We were in about 8:15 or so and hit the first good hole about 8:30ish. Weather ran from cold (cool) to moderately warm. We had intermitant showers (now I'm a weatherman). The bottom line. No fish, maybe a couple of bumps, one definate headshake, good company, but no hookups. We saw a couple of gear guys land two from a drift boat. We heard they had 5 by noon. Floated till about 4PM and were on our way home by 5:30. Had a great time, learned a good deal especially from John. Also learned that all these years I haven't been so off in my approach, just can't seem to convince the fish that they should help me out. Oh well, I'm not opposed to another 1000 casts. Especially when I get the chance to fish with some great people.
:beer2
Paladin
PS
I hope to meet more of you at the show Saturday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have to echo Mike's comments. Although no fish to hand, it certainly wasn't from lack of trying. The company was good and the weather for the most part cooperative. Mike, thanks for the kind words, I don't know that I deserve them, but thanks just the same. The only thing that would have made the trip a little better would have been a little more color to the river. It was awfully clear and made you work a lot harder. I am looking forward to doing something like that again. Great times.

Duck

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
Definitely have to agree that a great time was had by all! I know I did! I learned a ton and enjoyed meeting you guys. Next time I'll have my pontoon boat set up and ready to go.

Hope to see you at the fly fishing show this weekend or out on the river. :thumb

Bill

:beer2 :beer2

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Other than the three seasons of weather experienced it was a great float...great company! Gear guys seemed to be winning...compared to fly guys. Had "something" on for a few seconds, but felt the hook and was gone. Other than that not much to tell you. Definitly some very nice water just before the take out...if I had just a few hours to kill I would find someway to get to the bend in the river just above the take-out! Nice walking pace current seam with structure (rocks...big rocks!), total run length well over 200 yards.

Thanks again Brian! Also pleasure to meet Mike, Bill, John, and Bob!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.