Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any advice on float tubes that would be safe, comfortable, and affordable for a large (250lbs) man. Where can i get a good deal on one in seattle?

Also did anyone catch any fish on the olympic penninsula last weekend?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I AM ALSO A LARGE MAN ABOUT THE SAME WEIGHT AS YOU. I USE A NAVIGATOR 11 FLOAT TUBE AND IT HOLDS ME REALLY GOOD. I BOUGHT IT AT OUTDOOR EMPORIUM FOR $125 BUCKS. THAT WAS ABOUT $20 BUCKS CHEAPER THAN CABELAS. ALSO DON'T SCRIMP ON YOUR FLIPPERS AS THEY ARE A VERY IMPORTANT PART OF TUBEING. YOU WANT SOME THAT DIG DEEP IN THE WATER AND LOOK FOR EASY ON-OFF CAPABILITIES. I REALLY ENJOY MY TUBE AND AM NOW THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING A POONTOON BOAT FOR RIVERS. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN FISHING.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just bought a Griggs U-boat at Outdoor Emporium for $85.00. I am big (6'7" 280#) and it supports me fine even though I know I am near the published wt capacity. Avoid the donut tubes at all cost...the open front is key for launching with big flippers on. I would avoid the caddis tubes...crummy valves.
crock

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not a cheap option at a $359.00 retail price, but look at the Outcast Super Fat Cat.
The seat is super comfortable and the height makes casting really easy. Very well constructed, lots of room and rated for 350 LBS. Once you get some type of craft with a true seat, you will never want to use a regular float tube again.
If you are a internet shopper, I've seen these on sale at various sites for less then retail. I bought mine new in the box for $219.00 from a private party via a web site.
Brian

·
Registered
45 Posts
You might try www.tubesandtackle.com I use one of their tubes and it rides very well. It is also very light for packing in to the backcountry lakes.

I was fishing on the Olympic peninsula this past weekend. I was on the coast trying for surf perch in the breakers. It was a gas! Not many fish were caught, but the ones I did catch were fun healthy fish. I have wanted to try fishing for them ever since I saw the picture on the cover of the book "Northwest Fly Fishing - Trout and Beyond".

Jeff

·
Registered
228 Posts
Outcast just started making a cheaper model called the fish cat. It has a seat like tha fat cat, is rated for 250 lb.s and has the same features of the fat cat for only $140. The main difference is the fish cat is made overseas and the quality is not as nice. Cheaper inflation nozzles and such. I have got two ordered through the fly shop for me and my wife. It is true, once you use a fat cat you won't go back. They are the Cadillac of float tubes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought the Trout Unlimited Togiak from Cabelas, it was $139.00 and you get a one year membership to TU with it.
I weigh 280 and the tube is rated for 350.
It is a great tube and I am very satisfied. Very comfortable, lots of storage.

MES

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.