Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Slainte
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to replace my 4 wt WF floating line (Cortland Lazer) because it's chewed up. What's the slickest, highest floating, supple line made today?

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

:dunno

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Orvis

I love my Orvis wonderline :thumb . I have put it through the wringer and its still going. Honestly I have not kept that good of care of it either and it keeps on a floatin after nearly four years of non-stop use. I highly suggest it.

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
271 Posts
Orvis

I have used a Rio Windcutter line on mt 4# for the past two years, and have been very pleased with it. I have also heard good things about that new Cortland 555. I am thinking about lining up to a 5# line, when I replace this line later this month, any thoughts on that? (The rod is a sage XP so I know it can handle the weight) Whatever line you get I hope it stays tight. :thumb

·
Registered
105 Posts
I use an airflo river & stream floater, which has worked great over the past 2 seasons. It's one of the slickest lines I've seen, floats high and has a 5 yr warrenty against cracks. Actually the reason I got it was because the rio line was out of stock at the shop, and I didn't like the colors of the cortland 555. No complaints so far.

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
Orvis

I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

I have the 555 and I like it. It only has one drawback,in the winter time you have to stretch it out or it will coil up when you pull it off the reel. Before I go out on the water I just do a wrap around something and pull out about 60 ft and give it a good stretch.

Jim

·
Registered
53 Posts
Roper (and others),
Hey, I'm not trying to be a "Patch Adams", but before you put that new line on check your stripping guide. Make sure it isn't rough and causing your problem. I don't know how old the line is, but if it somewhat fresh then that shouldn't be the case. I can be pretty tough on gear, and line(s) are a fly fishing wear and tear part, but care and inspecting gear can make a differance. Anyway, best of luck in choosing your line.

><> Patch

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have an Airflo line, Cabelas had them on sale a couple years ago, it is the slickest, smoothest line I have ever had, and this was one of their cheapest lines!! Still going strong, does coil just a bit, seems most lines do. Lines that don't coil...I got two Sci Angler el cheapo lines from Walmart, six bucks each!!!! they are super supple and I love em, they do, however, sink a bit unless cleaned and greased, the Airflo line is unsinkable.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've tried many of the lines suggested above, including three Rio Windcutters I burned through in half a season, four Cortland floating lines I threw in the trash, and a few others. My current favorite fly line is:

Scientific Anglers Mastery Series Steelhead Taper

It's got a thick belly on it, loads the slower rods that I fish (Winstons), turns over flies really well (even larger ones, shoots like a champ, mends better than any other fly line I've touched, and roll casts like a dream.

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was intrigued by the kudos given to the Orvis Wonderline so did a Google search on it and in one long set of reviews of the product about 80% of folks really trashed it. Just FYI. I also did the same for Cortland's 555 and it seemed to have good reviews. I'm in the market for a new WF5F myself and will probably go for the 555.

·
Slainte
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gracias, Thanks, etc....

I'm leaning towards a SA Ultra 4 WF line, Orvis Wonderline is a close runner up. I may have to buy both and do a comparison. Everyone's input was very appreciated.

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Brian Perry
733 Posts
Gracias, Thanks, etc....

Keep in mind that the reviews for the wonderline were for the old formula. They just came out with a new product that is second to none! You can't go wrong with either the SA mastery, or the NEW wonderline. STAY AWAY from the 555. if you are fishing in weather under 40' you'll hate it.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Old wonderline vs. new wonderline

I have two 5wt wonderlines in the old series and I have no issues with them at all :dunno ?????? That just boggles me that many people wrote bad reviews about it...but I guess they did it for a reason :dunno maybe mine is soon to fail?? Either way its lasting alot longer than I expected, especially for the ropes I have put it through :thumb

~Patrick ><>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.