Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think a "flosser" is guy who fishes for hooked nosed spawning salmon trying to run the line through their gaping jaws usually hooking them on the outside of the mouth.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Actually, short of using lead core line for a sink tip, 'flossing' with any fly rod is damned near impossible, save for extremely low water conditions. In normal water flows, it's almost impossible (save for adding a very heavily weighted fly) to get much below 3-4 foot in a moving water column.

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
Flossing, when speaking in gear terms, is when you cast upstream, let it drift down and sweep the weighed hook across the current.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, short of using lead core line for a sink tip, 'flossing' with any fly rod is damned near impossible, save for extremely low water conditions. In normal water flows, it's almost impossible (save for adding a very heavily weighted fly) to get much below 3-4 foot in a moving water column.
iagree

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
It would appear that you have never swung a fly through a river chucked full of humpies or chummies. I have seen rivers so thick with fish that every cast resulted in either a flossed fish or a snagged one. This is not to say that a fly rod is the best flossing tool around but it can be an effective flossing device depending on how it is used. Still a bait caster, long leaders, corkies and some strategically placed lead make the best flossing setup out there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that in the case of the girl that some flossing is tolerable if it doesn't involve targeting spawners.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The good kind of flossing - beaches in Hawaii.

The rotten kind of flossing - fly or gear fishing for sockeyes with long leaders. Check out Jim Teeney's old salmon fishing video. He shows the flies in the mouths of all of the salmon except for the sockeyes. Why? Because he flossed them. About as cool as fishing a bead and hooking a fish on the underside of the jaw.

·
Registered
260 Posts
off topic, but golfman65, I love your avatar pic!
I hadnt really noticed until you said and I agree it is quite artful. "Ain't no butt like a fighting butt".

To address the OP. I think Flossing is to Spey Fishing is as Handgun is to Bowhunting. I mean I guess you can floss while fishing Spey but why would you? I guess you could carry a Handgub while Bowhunting but again why? You could put pickles in your ice cream too. All of those pairings kind of leave a bad taste in my mouth.

:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.