Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have fished for flounder in the sound with conventional gear, and I'm sure a fly rod would work good too. There are a lot of em in the south puget sound, my favorite spots are Nisqually estuary, Fox Island, off of Maury Island, and Case Inlet. About 10-20 feet of water is good, and I catch them with marabou jigs right on the bottom. A similar fly would probably work well, too. I've just never been motivated to try a fly for flounder. They are amazing fighters cause they use their bodies against the current, and with a fly rod Im sure theyd be a whole lot of fun :jj . Hope this helps-

Jon

·
Registered
906 Posts
I met a guy at Lincoln Park who said he targets small flounder with a 3 weight rod on the mud flats near Golden Gardens.

I've caught a few of them in the sound, and also in tidal sections of the lower stilly. When the cutthroat and coho fishing is slow, let the line and fly sink all the way to the bottom & retrieve slowly. Sometimes a bullhead, flounder, or ??? will hit, providing some action on an otherwise slow day.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the info on Manchester. Troy Dettman at the NW Angler in Poulsbo has perfected flounder fishing - he uses a floating line, a long leader and a weighted fly (think clouser) and he targets the flats - sandy areas. Drop by his shop in Poulsbo for details.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi, My uncle has a recreational boat, and we have a cabin on Henderson Bay. There is an island near fox island called "Dead Mans Island" I think there is a diff name, but I don't know it. There is an ultra long sand spit off of the island, and when we drive over it when it is about 4-5ft deep, there is some moving of sand and these huge flounder (i think they are, they look like them) go swimming off. These things look huge! Maybe 20"? I don't know for sure, I haven't been over the spit in about a year. JC from FAOL suggested a small wooly bugger tied on the leader upside down (to avoid snagging) could work. I used to also go out in front of our cabin with a spin *wince* rod with a hook and some raw hot dog, drop it down and catch like 9-12" sand dabs and sculpin (ouch, they poke, it hurts) about every 3 minutes or less. I never spent an hour out there, I could get like 9-10 in about 15-20 minutes. Maybe I'll tie some tiny flys with some marabou or something and bounce them on the bottom for the sanddabs, they are pretty fun too. I might be able to get my uncle to take me over to the island in his boat for some big flounders. hehehe
------------

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i marked it on the map in my northwest coastal fishing guide. ill check that area out im gonna go cutthroat fishing in my boat here this week. ben

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just don't sue if they aren't that big, or you don't find them, it's been a whole year since I've been over the spit. BTW, if you see an A-Frame cabin on the other side of the bay, with a big deck and a rock bulkhead, that's our cabin. I don't think we'll be out there though, my grandparents are though.
--------
*Want to go fishing in or near the penninsula? Please email me! I'm always looking for partners! [email protected]*

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey Flyteen - don't worry about "other gear' - most of us started fishing that way before coming over from the darkside. Truth be known I'll bet most still use spinning or casting gear in some situations. A flyrod may be the first choice for me, but not the only one.;) Bart

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.