Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to tie flourocarbon that doesn't break at the knot. I've given up trying to tie a flour tippet to regular mono leader, the flour usually cuts through. I broke down and bought a flour tapered leader, but have the same problem, whether I tie a blood knot or a surgeons. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help. :DUNNO

· Registered
1,782 Posts
When my tapered 12lb test tapered tippet leader is half way gone, I add a 10lb flor. tippet tied with a "triple" sergeons knot. Make sure you use lots of siliva for lubrication and don't pull too hard when tightening. Use your fingernails to make small adjustements to bring the knot closer together. This seems to work the best for me. Good luck! peter

· previously micro brew
4,660 Posts
I haven't had problems with flour to mono. I did have problems with "old" tippet, so I change it more often than I did the mono. How is the line to line size? I assume to add a little "liquid" to the knot (spit). Could be the line was old when you bought it, I put a date on my tippet spools and chuck it after about a year.

Don't think I helpd much but my $.02.

At the fly end, I have had good luck with the Orvis knot.

· Ignored Member
12,086 Posts
I read somewhere, I think, that flourocarbon generates more heat when the knot is tightened than mono. I use a lot of lubrication (spit) and pull my knots tight slowly. I have had few if any problems with flourocarbon.

· Registered
1,135 Posts
Try tying a perfection loop in the end of the leader and in the end of your flourocarbon tippet. Another option is to use a leader ending in a piece of Maxima Chameleon which should hold up fine when married to flourocarbon. I also agree with the application of copious amounts of saliva.

Randy

· Registered
26 Posts
I asked that question of jim vincent of RIO,and the solution is to use a blood knot with 7 turns on each side or a total of 14 total for a blood knot. I don't know if the extra turns takes pressure off the first turn or not. Personally, I quit using flourocarbon because of the breakage problem, with the exception of the 3x that I use at Rocky Ford. (If it's invisible, then why not use the largest size you can?) Had bad experience with an off brand in Alaska. Ask yourself if you really need to use it.

· Registered
29 Posts
I've been using flouro as tippet in my nymphing and wet-fly applications for over a year now with zero problems. I've used Maxima Ultra-green for my leader body and thanks to a tip from Randy, I've started using Maxima Chameleon as well (By the way, Randy, thanks for the tip, I love the stuff...very durable and abrasion resistant...an excellent choice for marrying with flouro).

· Registered
319 Posts
Fishwhipped,

What do you mean by "...the flour usually cuts through...?" Are you saying the fluorocarbon is actually slicing through the monofilament? If that's actually the case, I think the only cause can be a too loosly tied knot that results in the fluoro slipping.

A fluoro to mono connection using a double (4 turn) surgeon's knot should yield a 100% connection. When using fluorocarbon, its VERY important to draw the knot down EXTREMELY tight and hold it there for a few seconds. Seems there are two schools of thought on tightening with fluoro...(1) draw the knot down slowly or (2) jerk the knot down quickly. Not sure which is best or if there is truly a difference. I draw down somwhat slowly to ensure the wraps align properly as do most folks since we've all been warned of the dangers of heat from friction on the fluoro. Regardless, lubrication is essential; "soaking" the knot before drawing it tight might be a better description over simply wetting" when it comes to lubricating fluoro. I actually submerge my fluoro knots in water for a few seconds before tightening them which may be an extreme.

Consider trying a loop-to-loop connection for tippet to leader using a Kreh (no-slip) loop or a Perfection loop on the leader and a double (4 turn) Surgeon's loop on your tippets. This, too, should result in a 100% connection and allows replacing the tippet without sacrificing leader length; it alwo allows rapid changing of tippets without having to worry about tying connection knots. By tying loops in your various sized tippet material beforehand and sticking them into a leader wallet, the only knot you'll have to tie in the field will be to attach the fly. Additional bene is your tippets can all be cut to the same length. "

By the way, a Palomar knot to attach flies is also a 100% connection (even with fluorocarbon) and is quick as well as easy to tie.
Greg

· Just an Old Man
35,200 Posts
I might be old---but I'm good.

It's a knot I got out of a book. Called "The Fish Bums Guide To Catching Larger Trout" by Mike Croft. The only other place that you will find this knot is in Darrel Martin's book Fly-tying Methods.

The book has a lot of interesting facts in it and I go to reading it evety once in a while.

Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.