Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine always breaks. On the fly, halfway, doesn't matter.
I mostly use Rio, fluoro plus.

I get that it becomes brittle with age, but I've lost confidence.

Should I quit using it for nymphing or be buying a different brand?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I agree that heavier tippet will help. I've also found that, despite its "in the lab" increased strength and abrasion resistance, when you get fluorocarbon out "in the field", while it may be *more* abrasion resistant, once it does, in fact, abrade, its strength is *drastically compromised. So while a piece of 4 lb test mono might get scuffed up and drop to 2 lb, a fluoro 4 lb section might last longer before it gets seriously scuffed, but once it does, it may drop to 0.5 lb.

I've also encountered the occasional spool of tippet here and there (mono and fluoro alike) that, for whatever reason, were just bad spools. It really hurts when it's an occasional spool of Seaguar Grand Max that's a turd, but we're talking maybe one bad spool, across all sizes and brands, every other year. If you've got several spools giving you issues, I'd say it's you, not the material.

·
Buenos Hatches Ese
1,585 Posts
I rarely use flouro. Mostly because I'm a cheap bass turd, but also I've never really felt like I needed it. I can think of a few times using extremely small bugs or really finicky fish when it comes in handy, but for 90% of my trout fishing it isn't necessary.

I nymph A LOT, and almost always use a double nymph rig. I run 4x mono to the big fly and use 5x or 6x for the dropper. Trout around here don't seem to shy away from 4x mono, and I've landed lots of big bows in the Yak on 6x no problem.

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
I use the Rio 5X fluoro all the time and haven't had issue with breakoffs. The fish I break off are due to my own, stupid mistakes.

I do know that light can affect tippet, causing breakage issues. I ran into that a couple of years back, dumped that spool.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree that heavier tippet will help. I've also found that, despite its "in the lab" increased strength and abrasion resistance, when you get fluorocarbon out "in the field", while it may be *more* abrasion resistant, once it does, in fact, abrade, its strength is *drastically compromised. So while a piece of 4 lb test mono might get scuffed up and drop to 2 lb, a fluoro 4 lb section might last longer before it gets seriously scuffed, but once it does, it may drop to 0.5 lb. (Quote)

I've found the same thing with fluoro tippets. I used to use Maxima a lot for my sub-surface, steelhead/salmon fishing due to it's durability. I was used to seeing a bit of abrasion and not worrying too much about it unless it was bad. That has not been the case for me with fluoro, however. If I see any signs of abrasion, I immediately change tippets for the reasons you mentioned. That being said, I had a friend who was a saltwater fly fishing guide and he swore by fluorocarbon. He said that he did an experiment where he rigged some rods with standard mono and fluoro on others. He said the fluoro consistently caught more fish. I've not been able to verify that with my own experience though. I still use fluoro much of the time (just in case...i.e. why take a chance etc) but....

·
FishyJere
719 Posts
First, you don't need 6x. 5x super floro is stealthy enough for any nymphing. Second, if you are using 5x, you should not tie on anything bigger than a 16. If you are using 14's they will break off regularly. Go to 4x super floro. Third, floro is not particularly bothered by sunlight. It is really, really chemically stable. Your problem likely lies elsewhere.

My suspicion is that you are using flies too big for your tippet. By super floro I mean the good stuff. I like seagar grand max but Rio's best is equivalent.

And, yes, once in a while (few years) you can get a spool with problems. I strip off about 8' and try it again. Mostly that works.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Second, if you are using 5x, you should not tie on anything bigger than a 16. If you are using 14's they will break off regularly.
I like everything you're saying in your post except this bit.

I absolutely regularly fish #14 flies on 5X tippet, in fact if I'm fishing a #14, 5X is what I'm typically going to reach for to tie it on, nymphs, dries, whatever. No breakage issues whatsoever.

·
Lue Taylor/dbfly
2,550 Posts
Make sure your tippet is at least 12 inches in length when using 6,7, &8x I have a friend showed me how to use it I was always afraid to use 6 & 7x because of breakage, I've seen him catch some pigs on 8x I have yet to try that size i am slow on tying flies on anyway. And again I got some shitty tippet that I gave away you sure you not the person that got it:)

·
Banned
1,626 Posts
Cheap Berkeley, Vanish, 100 meter spools of .006 and .007. One spool lasts many seasons with very few issues. Size 18 chironomids all the way to size 4 buggers.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I like everything you're saying in your post except this bit.

I absolutely regularly fish #14 flies on 5X tippet, in fact if I'm fishing a #14, 5X is what I'm typically going to reach for to tie it on, nymphs, dries, whatever. No breakage issues whatsoever.
Agreed. I've used flies up to 10 on 5x for nymphing with no problems whatsoever. Actually I'm pretty sure some of the guys I know use 7x flouro on up to size 10 no problems.

·
livin' the dream
1,672 Posts
Make sure your tippet is at least 12 inches in length when using 6,7, &8x I have a friend showed me how to use it I was always afraid to use 6 & 7x because of breakage, I've seen him catch some pigs on 8x I have yet to try that size i am slow on tying flies on anyway. And again I got some shitty tippet that I gave away you sure you not the person that got it:)
What's the reason for length minimum?

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Never used the stuff and I still catch fish. And since I've been here in Montana I double nymph a lot. Never have seen the use for it. I know some that have used it and they learned how to cuss quite good because of using it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.