Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a comparison of the two lines on Coldwater Lake. I set up two almost comparable rods. Same interm. sink lines, same leader length and same fly. I had 6# magna-thin mono leader on one rod and 6.5# fluorocarbon leader on the other. We trolled in the same boat, so the speed of our flies was the same. The results: The fluorocarbon caught 5 fish and had 9 hits. The mono caught one 1 fish and had 2 hits. I think I'm starting to believe in fluorocarbon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Paul,

I'm in complete agreement with your findings on fluorocarbon. I use it exclusively now. With 6Lb test one must almost try to break off trout. This summer at Neah Bay we tried out Sea Guar 12lb on our jigging rods. Hooked bottom and couldn't break the line! Had to reel tight and lift rod vertically.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I also use fluorocarbon now and out fish countless people all the time and have a few friends that are believers now. The fluorocarbon is really strong also. My dad and I also conducted a test similar to yours and had about the same results, with the fluorocarbon out fishing the mono 7 to 1.

fly15

c&r :THUMBSUP

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I mainly use Maxima leaders and tippets. Is the Ultragreen a Flora or Mono? I don't remember. What other more popular brands are monos, floras., etc. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? I guess Maximas Chameleon is a mono due to I don't practically catch anything with that line, more so with the Ultragreen.

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
Matthew 4:19

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I use a mono leader and a fluorocarbon tippet. It seems to work pretty well. I do have problems sometimes with tying the two together. It happens when I'm tying a triple surgeons with them and I check the strength of the knot and it breaks. I think, but could be wrong, that fluorocarbon loses it's strength over time. Like if I am using a tippet spool that I haven't used in a while or something. Sounds kinda wierd? Maybe I suck a knot tying. Who knows?? :DUNNO It's late and I cant sleep, To excited to hit the yak tomorrow!!YT

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've also found that while flourocarbon tippet seems to produce more strikes, its knot strength is inferior to mono, or at least when tied with a blood knot to a mono leader. That aside, I still prefer it to mono tippet. :HAPPY

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree. Flouro knot strength is inferior to mono but you can’t beat it's disappearing act when it hits the water. I spooled all my light tackle with flouro and the fishing has been great. I am consistently out fishing mono users. I use flouro for leader material on my heavier outfits.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Connect with a 5 turn surgeon, or use a loop to loop for your tippet/leader connection. Once again use a 5 turn surgeon loop. It'll help your break problem. Oh yeah... Don't use fluoro... It's nasty stuff for the environment :DEVIL

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
flourocarbon knots are just as strong as mono. It is with the knot tyer that the problem occurs.

Flouro generates more heat than mono when the knot is pulled tight and therefore weakens the knot. Care should be taken to lubricate the knot well and pull the knot tight slowly to eliminate any heat that could be generated by friction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.