Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I seem to be in a posting mood-
After so much toil and sweat put into tying flies, getting wings & hackle just "so"...I hate nothing more than putting my brand new works of art (in my own mind only) into a fly box, closing the lid, and seeing my wings & hackle get crushed down by the lid. I've tried tilting them to the side a little. This helps save the wings, but still smushes the hackle on one side & also takes up more room in the box this way.
Are there any fly boxes out there with extra lofty lids? What do you all do to alleviate this problem? Or should I just get over it?

easygoer:dunno

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
One of the things that few guys do is get boxes specific for the flies that they use. I have buddies that have 1 or 2 boxes of the weirdest assortment of flies I have ever seen, where my boxes are sorted to the type, and chosen for fishing I do.

There are boxes for steelhead (big flat clip or big plastic clip), spey (nubby tack or big plastic clip), dry (nubby tack, little plastic clip, little plastic bins, foam), streamers (sheepskin wallets), bunny, bugger and leech patterns (plastic bins, nubby tack).

I must own 20 fly boxes from a threader eye dry fly box to a giant nubby tack box with marabou patterns in it. I have not found any one box other than $2.99 Plano boxes that work well for everything. Any other box is going to stink for the wrong type of fly.

And today, I was just eyeing waterproof boxes for my saltwater flies. Hummm.....

The key is to buy the boxes that hold the flies well. Don't buy boxes that damage your flies.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Speaking of fly boxes, whats the deal with those super spendy C&F fly boxes from Scientific Anglers? Their imported from Japan, but $50 bucks for a fly box??:eek Rowdy has the top of the line C&F box, retails for 54.95. Yeah, its real nice(Damn its nice), but seriously, whats the deal? Do all the cool kids have one or what??:dunno YT:smokin

·
Mother Nature's Son
1,347 Posts
Tight Loops makes a very good point. You do need to consider the box that will hold your flies and purchase them accordingly.

For dry flies, I utilize those boxes that have big compartments so that the flies sit in without getting mashed. Wheatley makes some very nice dry fly boxes but they are spendy. That said, you get what you pay for and when you just ruined 50 flies you'll find that the box may have paid for itself.

For nymphs, the Wheatley nymph boxes work pretty well. Just remember that if your fly box gets wet from rain or gets submerged to take the flies out and dry them or the constant contact with the foam will eventually rust away perfectly good flies.

I keep my steelhead flies in Wheatley boxes, I like the clips that they use to keep the flies in place.

A very inexpensive fly box that I use for streamers and fly flies is made by Morell. They are a simple foam box and they float. I'm using these boxes more and more but they aren't for every fly type.

Another point that Tight Loops makes is that it is wise to keep similiar flies together. As an example, I have a box that contains all of my baetis immitations (dries only or nymphs only), from big to small and that's it. I have another for Green Drakes, one for wooly buggers etc.. I don't usually find the need to carry baetis immitations and beetle immitations in the same box because I would generally fish these at different times of the year so there isn't a need to combine all of the flies into one box.

Skinny

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I have so many fly boxes that I can't carry them all so I bought a nice furniture dolly. I load all my flies on this hand truck and just push it out into the river with me.
I've had a lot of admiring glances.
Babba:rolleyes

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have four fly boxes that I carry wherever I fish, and they contain just about every good fly I have tied at the moment--usually around 500. My dry flies go into a cheap, two-sided clear plastic container and sit loose in compartments according to basic type (mayflies, midges, terrestrials, etc.) My other two good boxes I've had for years are the "book style" from Avid Angler, and have the ridged foam on one side and the flat foam on the other. I somehow manage to stuff all my wets in those two boxes, without too much mushing of hackles, etc. A little fluffing before entering the water helps. My last fly box is for large streamers and "experiments." As long as the dries keep their shape, I'm happy.

aaron j:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
I spent two weeks in Alaska and my fishing partner has a C&F box. After seeing it float when dropped, and how nice it kept his flies, I finally broke down and bought one. Like most guys who tie, I have hundreds stored in the cheep containers, what I do is put my selection for the day into a C&F box for what I think I need for the day. It works pretty well. You just need to ask for them as a Christmas gift. After owning one for a year now, it's my favorite fly box

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
I have a C&F threader box, and it rocks when the evening hatch comes on, and I have to tie on a dry....

Seriously, when I get below about a #16 I need a little help with the 5x or 6x tippet that's going through that little eye, and this box helps. But it is also an excellent way to organize my dries.

Rob

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
RiverFishing

Ooh...I'm so glad I caught this post in time! I was thinking of one of those wheeled luggage items like you'd pull behind you through the airport concourse, but a furniture dolly is just so much more...well...rugged and manly!

I bet you DO get some admiring glances, you savage!

Mike ;-)

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I just went out and bought a new fly box. I didn't pay an arm or a leg for it as I got it at Outdoor Emporium. It is bigger than the average box and from the tag on it,it is waterproof and it floats. Ripples on both sides. But for the life of me I can't remember where I put the tag so I would know what it is named. But I named it myself. It's called my dry fly box.

Jim

·
Registered
383 Posts
Zip lock bags! My boxes are full so i've resorted to using a few of the heavy duty zip locks with the easy zipper. Not really by choice...just need to get my butt down to the fly shop to get a few more boxes. Only use the zip's for salmon/steelhead marabou's etc...

just don't sit on em! ouch!

I do like the C & F concept...little spendy but nice stuff. I have an imitation wheatly...i'm hoping it falls in the drink sometime, i hate the metal thing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Does anybody have the same disease as me for tying salmon flies where you now have the jumbo box? I keep tying more patterns and every year I end up with more boxes full of flies. I use the Plano soft bag system that has 4 trays of the plastic 30 compartment boxes and sells for around 20 dollars. They are made more for bass fishing guys but they work well for going on a big vacation where you take a boat load of flies. It’s not as good as a furniture dolly ..joke intended =:) From there I pull out the flies that I think will be using based upon the conditions on the river. I guess I am a little overkill, but it’s nice to be able to have several combinations of a fly so you can match the river conditions. I have one box dedicated to super heavy salmon flies so when I am on fast deep water I can stick with the same fly line (teeny 350) and still get to the salmon. I also dedicate one box to all the strange flies that I tie after a few beers. Sometimes my strange alcohol invented flies are the ones that work best. When hooking into some fish when the action is slow, my buddies usually ask me what I am using, It's fun to be able to say “a Beer induced, Macaw feathered contraption that nobody has ever seen” (I have a pet Macaw). The attached fly JPG is an example

·
Registered
701 Posts
I like Alpinetrout's answer; get a bigger box. C&F boxes are nice but for the same price you can buy an aluminum that will never break from Okuma. For $15 you can get one of the clear plastic ones that fit perfectly in your front vest pocket. For little 18's and 20's you can buy a little 12 compartment that fits in the breast pocket of your vest. Funny, never had a problem with squished hackes except when I was young and put all my flies in a foam bottomed box. Even then, I think it helped my flies because when it was time to tie it on to the tippet and fish, they stayed upright even with disporportioned tails, hackes and wings. Now I always have a problem with sitting down at the vise, can't seem to concentrate on more than 6 at a time. Ususally when I am done they go into film canisters and then get transferred whenever I feel like it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Larger boxes is of course the obvious answer. I was just trying to avoid that because larger boxes means fewer boxes in my vest. I like the idea of putting multiple flies loose in compartments. All but one of my boxes now do not have compartments. They're the foam-bottom, book-style. -And yes, in all honesty my hackles seem to always spring back to life. Most of the problem is with hair wings...they don't seem to have as much longevity in the springiness category, especially bucktail. The Morrels are so cool looking. I think I'll have to get a couple for no other reason.
easygoer

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Bob
That sounds so cool I am gong to retire my wheel barrow and empty out the pockets on my vest! Is mossy green or late autumn brown a better color?
Dave
PS I was lookin at hot orange with black polka dots but thought that was a little brash!

G

·
>C&F Design? What do you think Daphnia?
>
>I just broke down
>and forked out $$.
>
>MAC

Word around the campfire is that you did not! As the story goes, you got on your knees and begged and begged for that box!! And according to that story, that was not the only thing you did while on your knees! :eek :eek :eek

And then the box was yours! :+

;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.