Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting close to that time again when I have to ship out. Had I been ready to go today, I would have been flown out to Crete, perhaps to sit here for 4 months. Since I wasn't, I had to pass. Meanwhile, there is an equally good chance that, around the time I'm ready, there will be jobs available on a ship at Diego Garcia--an island in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Now, here's the question: Has anyone any experience with fishing there? There surely has to be some veterans out there. I imagine it will be waters akin to someplace like Christmas Island or some other tropical island/atoll. Any help out there as to gear and such. I figure I will, at some point, have to opportunity to fish the surrounding waters, at least a couple of times.. There are recreational boats available to personnel working there, so that will be a piece of cake. I need information and suggestions on the off chance I wind up there. Does the Indian Ocean have bonefish? They're found both in the Pacific and Atlantic. Is there any reason they won't be found in the Indian Ocean? :dunno

G

·
'viche -
Check out what you can on the Seychelles. The Indian Ocean flats fishery became known and readily accessible only about three or four years ago... Bahamas/Keys sized bones (10lbs not at all uncommon), Christmas Island numbers + gobs of other species.
Kaufmann's has been coordinating what amounts to an expedition to the Seychelles (sailing from island to island, flats to flats) from the get-go, so in lieau of any firsthand info here....
You are a dog! Soon to be a certifiable salty one, at that...
:smokin

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:smokin Excellent! This is the kind of lead I was looking for--just short of firsthand info. The Seychelles are on the same latitude as the Chagos Archipelago, where Diego Garcia is the southernmost island. I'll be sure to checkout Kauffmann's website in the offhand chance I wind up in DG. If I do get a job there, I'll have to make a last-minute purchase on a Tropics flyline just before flying out. Have 8wt, will travel! You da man, Kevin! :beer2

·
Registered
751 Posts
Most of the atolls in the Indian Ocean have resident populations of bonefish that is largely unexplored.

Try dropping this guy an email:

http://www.harro.com.au/

Rod has fished all around that area, and while he may not have been there, he might tell you something about it or be able to point you in the right direction.

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/
http://www.patagonia-expedition.org/

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

- Henry David Thoreau

·
Air Force Guy
17 Posts
Just found your post and it seems like info is no longer needed, but perhaps the other folks will find it interesting. I am an Air Force pilot stationed at Farichild AFB. During 2002/2003 I was deployed there in support of the war. DG is what you would dream about...white beaches, sand flats for miles, no other fisherman and bonefish flags (tails) waving for as far as you can see in the early am when the wind hasn't picked up. I had 50+ bonefish days. When I got bored of that, I would wait in the flats until there was a baitfish erruption from the huge Trevalle underneath. I caught some of those up to 30 pounds on my 10lb test/8 wt. I would love to go back some time...pic attached... :thumb:

·
Registered
320 Posts
zippwald1 said:
Just found your post and it seems like info is no longer needed, but perhaps the other folks will find it interesting. I am an Air Force pilot stationed at Farichild AFB. During 2002/2003 I was deployed there in support of the war. DG is what you would dream about...white beaches, sand flats for miles, no other fisherman and bonefish flags (tails) waving for as far as you can see in the early am when the wind hasn't picked up. I had 50+ bonefish days. When I got bored of that, I would wait in the flats until there was a baitfish erruption from the huge Trevalle underneath. I caught some of those up to 30 pounds on my 10lb test/8 wt. I would love to go back some time...pic attached... :thumb:
That is SWEET! Now that's what they need to put on recruitment posters!! And they had me with Airborne school?!? I should have held out for more!! :beathead:

·
Piscatorial predilection
2,393 Posts
Hey Zip,

Noticed your Okuma reel in that nice pic. I have one just that size as well and was curious to know your opinion on how the drag held up under that kind of pressure. With as many bones as you caught I would say that would be a very good test of the strength and quality of it. So what say you?

LB

·
Air Force Guy
17 Posts
To Mr. Doughty: Yes you need to be military or a contractor to be able to get to that place. There are places similar to DG, like the Seychelles, that have the same fishing and look of DG, but would probably have a few fisherman here and there.

Papa: I had great success with my Okuma and Temple Fork setup that I bought here (you can see my pic again...I think burfish.com is making some good money on me! http://www.burfish.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=BSC/PROD/TFFRC/3465-2244 It handled those big trevalle with no prob. It was very inexpensive but delivered results.

The man that supplied me with my flies was Jim Green from Tx. He wrote a little article on me and what I was doing. It also has some more pics of my fish. You need to scroll down past the hot lady in the bikini..http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/index.php?page=newsletter

Anyhow, I was there for 6 months and couldn't have picked a nicer place to deploy and fight a war from! I have so many fishing stories to tell, I have often thought of writing an article in a fishing mag to explain it all. Maybe one of these days when I have some more time. The AF is moving me at the end of the month to Alabama and probably the Pentagon following that. Washington has been great these past 5 years, but good things always come to an end.

:D
Zip

Edit: Finally got the links working......

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fornication! bawling: :beathead: The last ship I was on did go to Diego Garcia, though without me. I had to leave early due to medical reasons. It was just as well, since I didn't bring my 8wt. Still, should I ever find myself doing those military ships again, I'll definitely bring my TFO.

·
Piscatorial predilection
2,393 Posts
zippwald1 said:
I had great success with my Okuma and Temple Fork setup. It handled those big trevalle with no prob. It was very inexpensive but delivered results.

Well that about says it all. :thumb:

As a side note: my youngest son, Matthew, who is about your age Zip, is also in the AF serving out of the base in Oklahoma. Right now he's in S Korea for a year. Thanks for your service to our country.

LB

·
Air Force Guy
17 Posts
Tinker AFB? I used to fly on E-3s (AWACS) back in the early 90's, which they have there. I was in the back looking at computer screens which was not as fun as being in the front end driving it. I went to pilot training in Enid OK (Vance AFB).

·
Registered
398 Posts
I don't know about the fishing but I do know that you need to watch out for Hector. There's an office over there that has an aerial shot of a tender, the USS Hector, and in the water is the silhouette of a gigantic hammerhead. Hector the Hammerhead is a big sumbitch and would definitely put a bend in your 8wt.

We pulled in there for 1 day back in 1990 and I think they only did it so the Navy wouldn't have to give us a beer day. 44 days doing circles in the IO, pull into DaGar for a day, and then go cut circles for 44 more days. Do you know how small a FF gets after 88 days in the IO??

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hector the shark was there in 1980-81 when I was there for six months. That was one big ass shark, Also monster Manta Rays etc. There was no pier there so we anchored in the lagoon. It was like sitting in a huge aqarium.
Lots of fish ,crabs ,giant clams,Donkeys etc. Did not fly fish then so icant help you. Have fun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.