Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading some of John shewey's books and it sounds like surf perch can be caught fairly regularly on fly fishing gear. The second week of August My family and I are going to be camping on long beach and I was thinking of trying to fly fish for some surf perch. Anyways I was wondering if anyone out there has ever tried this and if so did you have any success?:dunno
Any info would be great. Thanks

fly15

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
I know it can be done, but haven't tried it either. I have a book about fly fishing the surf and almost took a class with a friend of mine at Creekside Angling. It shouldn't be too much different from fishing the salt for cutt throat, in terms of the gear at least. I can get the name of the book for you guys if you're interested or I'm sure that one of the salt water guys will eventually post some info!

Bill

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
The same flys we use for cutties, and smaller, as in size 8 and 10, short shanks too. Some of these fish can be bruisers and pull like mules. For a shorter trip out here try the beaches near East and West Twin Rivers, the Pysht River mouth and adjacent areas, mouth of the Hoko. many small creek mouths and adjacent beaches on the west Olympic Peninsula offer these perch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.