Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks. So I'm from way down southern Arizona and we don't have a whole lot of trout. Takes me about 5 hours driving before I have even a chance of hooking into a decent fish, so when I travel, I like to bring my fly rig along. I'm going to be up near Fort Lewis in early July for a meeting. I should have some free time to hit a stream or river. Can anyone recommend a place? One of my friends said the Nisqually is good. Also, dry flies, wet, streamers?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,593 Posts
Early July could be good. How much free time? A few hours after your meeting, or a few days so that you could travel to where there is good fishing during the time you're here? Probably not the Nisqually unless you have a raft to float it. Fly selection depends where you end up fishing and for what.

Sg

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'd suggest trying to connect with someone local that you can tag along with. The rules for westside streams are now
awful to try to understand without local knowledge. Streams are also closed unless specifically stated as open in the regs.
This is done in the name of saving anadromous fry. Lakes are easier, but some would say not as much fun.

Here is a link:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01726/wdfw01726.pdf

Ken

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Early July could be good. How much free time? A few hours after your meeting, or a few days so that you could travel to where there is good fishing during the time you're here? Probably not the Nisqually unless you have a raft to float it. Fly selection depends where you end up fishing and for what.

Sg
I'll at least have an afternoon. If I plan it right, I'll have an afternoon and a full day to fish.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd suggest trying to connect with someone local that you can tag along with. The rules for westside streams are now
awful to try to understand without local knowledge. Streams are also closed unless specifically stated as open in the regs.
This is done in the name of saving anadromous fry. Lakes are easier, but some would say not as much fun.

Here is a link:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01726/wdfw01726.pdf

Ken
Thanks for the link, Ken. I might have a local to help me out. Not sure yet. I'm also not sold on the Nisqually. It's just in the same area I'll be.

·
Registered
15,593 Posts
Exactly what constraints do you have on your time? You mention having at least an afternoon. Do you need to be anywhere before 10 or 11 PM?

It works like this: the fewer hours you have available, the longer the odds of a quality outing. Conversely, the more hours, the better. I'm thinking of a creek where you could spend two hours hooking 8" cutthroat to a longer session where you'd have a chance at an 8# summer steelhead.

Sg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly what constraints do you have on your time? You mention having at least an afternoon. Do you need to be anywhere before 10 or 11 PM?

It works like this: the fewer hours you have available, the longer the odds of a quality outing. Conversely, the more hours, the better. I'm thinking of a creek where you could spend two hours hooking 8" cutthroat to a longer session where you'd have a chance at an 8# summer steelhead.

Sg
I like both those ideas. Maybe you can float them and then when I find out my times, I can figure out which one. Did you say 8# Steelhead? I might need heavier line. Wow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.