Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly fishing in May

933 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Jim Riggins 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm new to this site, but can already tell there's a lot that can be learned here.

I'm trying to plan a camping trip for my family in late May. My 2 goals are to find someplace warm enough to survive and someplace with good fly fishing. Rivers or lakes are fair game (I have a small fishing raft).

Truthfully I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to fly fishing in WA. My primary experience is fishing small streams for trout while backpacking.

I live in Eastern WA (Kennewick) & would love to find someplace in Gifford Pinchot or south eastern WA. Any recommendations for spring camping/fly fishing?

Thanks,
Micah

#7 ·
Already a lot of good suggestions - especially the Sun Lakes around then. Big Four in the Tucannon river valley can be fun if you aren't to picky, and there's some good camping. Smallies on the Grande Ronde should be getting going around then (not completely sure on that one, as I've only fished it late in summer). There are a lot of good options within 2-3 hours in all directions from Kennewick, it just depends on what kind of area you want to camp in - forest, desert, primitive, developed, etc.

#8 ·
Merrill lake is about an hour from Woodland Wa. on I-5. Fly fishing year round, triploids up to 27" or so. I think you can camp there, primitave toilet, easy access to the lake. You can fish from shore but a pontoon works great. Leeches, wooley buggers, ant immitaters and caddis' work all year. And maybe you will see bigfoot! If the wife and kids get bored the ape caves are a close drive and there's a native Indian center close by as well. Can get alittle windy though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.