Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Orvis offers a beginning fly fishing course through the shop in Bellevue. It's intended for "never-ever" students and we cover all the basics; casting techniques, entomology, gear, catch and release, how to read water, and then applying what you've learned on a private pond. The course is offered on a private ranch near North Bend, and lunch is included - plan on a 7 hour session.

You can sign up at the Bellevue store. If you've already had some experience with fly fishing and have specific goals in mind, I'd suggest hiring a "teaching" guide who places emphasis on your expectations and goals, and focuses on learning and building confidence so that you can go out on your own and be prepared - versus just going on a trip and catching fish.

Derek

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Want to improve my mediocre skills and be more self sufficient. I found several schools for women in Idaho and Wyoming but was hoping for something in Washington to start with.
Dawn, look up the Northwest Women Flyfishers.

I know that they hold good meetings, classes and outings, and there are some great membership benefits. They know how to have a good time too!!! This would be much less expensive than a school and provides more.

Maybe Sue (Freestone) will chime in here?

Heres the link: www.northwestwomenflyfishers.com

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Check your local colleges, both 4 year and 2 year. Also look at the school's continuing education classes (key). Some of them offer flyfishing classes. I have taught varying levels of classes through the community college up here for years. If you can find one, it will be a lot cheaper than through a private person or company. My students pay $45.00 for 6 classes.

·
Red's Fly Shop
101 Posts
Red's Fly Shop has a complete offering of one day classes from Beginner to Advanced to Stillwater to Smallmouth Bass and anything in between. The complete 2011 calendar is now posted. The cost for these courses is 59.00 to 99.00 per entry which includes a long day of on the water instruction. Gift Certificates are available if you'd like to bring a spouse or friend along. See the calendar at: http://www.redsflyshop.com/cllinicssummercamps.html Add a night's stay in the lodge to make it a great weekend get away!

Steve

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,370 Posts
Dawn, I don't know of any specific women's fly fishng classes in WA although there may be. There are several women certified casting instructors in WA (http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Default.aspx?tabid=4465 ) but it sounds like you are looking for more than just casting instruction. I would check out some of the local shops' classes if you want to stick closer to home. If you wanted to make more a vacation out of it, I've heard good things about Reel Women Fly Fishing in Idaho. The Northwest Womens Flyfishers (NWF) club doesn't usually do formal instruction - we leave that to the professionals. We sometimes have educational events or education-focused trips but our outings are mostly about fishing. We do have an informal mentorship program on our outings where a newer fly fisher can ask to be paired with a more experienced mentor for the day. We're going to be doing things a little more informally this year and just getting out and fishing as often as possible! I'm in the process of organizing a couple of educational trips for the club - one for steelheading, one for first time river pontooners and a lake trip plus there will be other day trips and overnight trips throughout the year that will be posted on our members-only site. Send me a PM if you would like more information.

There are also a couple great free or cheap learning events coming up this spring: The first one is the FFF Fly Fishing Fair April 30-May 1st in Ellensburg. There will be several women's casting classes taught by a certified female casting instructor as well as lots of great fly fishing, casting and fly tying classes, seminars and demonstrations. It is a great event with lots of educational and networking opportunities. http://www.washingtoncouncilfff.org/2010FFFFrameset-1.htm The event is open to the public and while the event is co-ed, I think that NWF usually has the most members in attendance of any club in the state so it will be a great place to meet some new fishing buddies. The other event is the Jimmy Green Fly Fishing Fair and Casting Expo a free event on June 19th in Monroe http://www.jimmygreenflyexpo.com This free event was a hit last year and would also be great for you to attend.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Dawn, I trust Freestone with all of her advice she has give me so I'm sure she can lead you the right way. There is a shop in Poulsbo, it is called Peninsula Outfitters. They do have classes designed for different skill levles and I belive they are listed on their web site. They normally start them in the spring when the fishing starts to heat up. I do know that one of their classes is designed for lady fly anglers and they actually hold the course at Trophy Lakes. If you have not yet found what you are looking for, I think it would be worth a phone call and conversation with Bill or Ted at the shop. Best of luck, I bet you can outcast a majority of us here, myself included.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.