Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be headed to northern Spain (San Sebastian/Donostia, to be exact) in the Spring. Anyone ever fished in Spain? Just curious.

Ian

I was lucky enough to visit San Sebastian a couple of years ago, so I'm familiar with the area some degree. Drove from Bilbao up through the Rioja (including Logrono) then to San Sebastian. It is a beautiful city, the food and booze is great, and the topless beaches don't hurt either :WINK . Don't know how long I'll be there, but I would love to take a day or two to fish.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I've spent a holiday in San Sebastien, Spain. Very beautiful place, good boozs and food. I loved it and I am sure you will too. I've fished in France (Gave de Pau) in the Pyranees which is quite close to Spain. Didn't get much but then I was foreign and didn't have a clue. But the river was magnificent. Poke around in that area and I am sure you will come up with something. Lots of streams, faboulous mountains, in short, a great place.
best luck to you. Very envious here. :THUMBSUP

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
George Mendoza wrote a short, lyrical gem of an article called Fishing with Hemingway in Spain in the April 1977 Fly Fisherman. Sometimes it pays to keep old issues! He talks of fishing Rio Tormes about three hours west of Madrid. The article was reprinted in Mendoza's book Secret Places of Trout Fishermen (1977 MacMillan Publishing).

·
AKA Beadhead
493 Posts
Ian,
I was in Spain during August 2001. We drove from Barcelona to San Sebastian. We spent a few days in La Rioja, the wine country which is just S. of the Basque Region (and San Sebastian). It is fabulous country, pretty rugged, sprinkled with medieval villages and trout streams. Yes, they are loaded with trout too! We could see brown trout feeding beneath the bridge in Najera on the Najerilla River and again on another night we saw schooling browns in a small town outside of Tolosa deep in the Basque Country. The worst part was that even though I had my fly tackle with me along with a pair of wading boots, licenses were difficult to come by. You have to go to the administrative center of each province and buy a license for that province, and that only allows you to fish certain waters, other restricted waters are only available to be fished after winning some sort of lottery. We were traveling with 7 people and I was the only fisherman. So as we travelled accross several provinces, I never had a license when the opportunity presented itself. I ended up leaving my wading boots stashed in the spare tire compartment of our rented volvo. If I go back, I will definately be bringing my rod again, this time I won't leave without getting a chance to wet a line.

If you go, try to make it to La Rioja. The Basque Country of Northern Spain is like western Washington and La Rioja is like Eastern Washington by comparison. There are atlantic salmon runs on the coastal streams and trout in the interior. You can buy a La Rioja license in Logroño. Try the Najerilla River at Najera, there is also a 1000 year old monestary there which is pretty cool to see. Check out the walled city of Laguardia- no fishing there, but a cool place nontheless. The coast between San Sebastian and Bilbao is not to be missed either.

Hope this helps

BH

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I've never fished there, only have fished in Germany and the UK. But I do know a guy who lives in Spain that I was involved in a fly swap with. I'll see if I can drum up his email address and send it to you. He's pretty knowledgeable and can lead you in the right direction since he actually lives there and fishes all over.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't actually flyfished in Northern Spain, but I did live there for a couple of years, including in Bilbao, Logrono, and some other areas. So, I have tried to find good information on flyfishing there hoping to make it back some day.

If you speak Spanish, check out http://www.cotosdepesca.com/ It doesn't only contain flyfishing info, but it has information about different waters including lots of photos of some areas. Check out the tertulias (bulletin boards) under fly-fishing (pesca a mosca). You'll see more arguing and garbage than on most bulletin boards, but there are some helpful people if you ask a question. It's the best site I've seen overall for fishing in Spain.

For good info specifically on fly fishing in Spain, check out http://www.siboney.es/Pescamosca_Espana/ It has lots of history, interesting Spanish fly patterns, and general info on fly fishing in Spain.

The area between Logrono and San Sebastian is nice as well as between San Sebastian and Bilbao, but keep heading west along the coast and it's incredible. Santander is a beautiful city with great beaches (I lived there for a while, too) and the coast continuing on from there is amazing. Cantabria and into Asturias is loaded with mountains and some incredibly beautiful areas. Leon, despite being not nearly as pretty an area and being landlocked, is the traditional seat of fly fishing in Spain, so it may be worth a look. Bah, it's all beautiful. I envy you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.