Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
In his insightful work, The Dry Fly (1990), Gary LaFontaine discusses the importance of stealth while stalking trout. Although he stresses the importance of wearing drab clothing and removing reflective material from equipment and clothing prior to fishing (he suggests dulling the glare on a newly purchased rod with steel wool...right in the shop, just for kicks), he does not comment on brightly colored fly lines as a fish deterrent. I find this a bit puzzling, since a good portion of his treatise on fly design is devoted to color and the way it interacts with various light conditions. But given Gary's thoughtful consideration of the topic, I don't think that his failure to address line color was an oversight.

In the same book, Gary emphasizes the significance of line handling and control to successfully catching wary trout. This brings me to the light blue Monic Skyline, which is marketed as a line that reduces shadows while false-casting. I found that, although this line may have been more stealthy, it had inferior line handling properties. Not only did I have trouble seeing the line on bright days, but the memory problems created by it's "unique" design made casting and mending difficult. Any stealth that I gained was more than offset by the poor performance in line control. It's worth noting that I have also had trouble seeing the Wulff ivory Triangle Taper line on bright days. I love the way it casts and mends, but if you can't see it...you don't have control.

Anyway, there are a few things to consider. I will not step down off my soap box.

-Crock

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.