Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at getting a floating 8 wt line for this run. And then a sinking line for the B run. What are your edxpeiences and reccomendations, why??

Im looking at the Scientific Angler stuff because I currently have the Orvis Wonderline on my 5wt and am not impressed with it :ANGRY .
Thanks for your input

~Patrick

·
Registered
83 Posts
i dont have all the info, but i heard a rumour that SA makes the Orvis lines. May not be true. I got a deal on a Sage performance taper floating line used it a few times and thought it did really well. then for convience i bought a rio versi tip and think its the greatest thing since pockets on a shirt. i use it on a Sage XP 8wt. not that i have caught any thing on it, but it casts really well, in my opinion. jer

·
Registered
228 Posts
SA does make the Orvis lines. The line that is going on all my fast action rods is the Rio Grand. It is really a half line size larger than stated, so I wouldn't put it on a soft rod. I've had a demo line on my five weight since they released them and it has been holding up great and casting like a rocket.

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
Not to be argumentative but I had a Rio VersaTip and thought it sucked. The line was to stiff.

I made my own multi-tip line using a Cortland 444 and love it. I have also purchased a Cortland 555 floating line and believe it to be the best line on the market today.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I use SA on my 8 wt, a floating line. I also use 444 floating on my 7 wt. The SA starts to act like sink tip line after a couple hours in the water. I hope that using cleaner and some floatant treatment on the line, I can rectify the problem. I am very pleased with the 444. It shoots better than the SA, like blueberries through a goose.

For this winter, I want to use some of the multi tip lines like Rio and am interested what other people think too.

Matt

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Jer...I have heard from one individual that they did not like how the connecting loops kind of "caught" when going through the eyes on the rod. Have you seen or experienced this. I would think they would design it to be a fairly smooth connection??

~Patrick

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did it hang up at all or was it just too stiff?? Any other major downfalls with your experience?? Also what weight was the rio versi tip. :DUNNO

Thanks for the input

~Patrick

·
Registered
83 Posts
they can hang up, but i have only had this happen when i was spooling the line back on the reel. they are pretty smooth. i found that i leave the tip out past the joint when casting. so i have had no issues. jer

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
The loop connection would hang up once in while. I solved that problem by replacing the factory loop connections with my own smaller ones.

My main gripe with Rio lines (I have owned 2) is they are stiff and have a tendency to tangle. By tangle I mean when I have a large amount of line stripped in, laying at my feet it would bunch up and get caught in the stipping guide during the cast. I don't seem to have this problem with the Cortland lines or at least not as frequently. The main difference in the lines from my prospective is the stiffness or suppleness of each one wtih the Cortland lines being more flexible or supple for lack of a better term. The lines in question are 5 wieght.

KLS

·
Registered
113 Posts
I fished the RIO multi-tip for half a day and stuck it back in the box and sold it. I had a spey line built for my single handed eight weight and it is far superior to the RIO line. But that's only my opinion. Don't know about the air-flo multi-tip systems

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
3M/Scientific Angler makes the Orvis Flylines, and some others as well.I think that the mastery series,AST is excellant. I have had good fortune with all the RIO lines I have used. I have had Triangle Taper fly lines in a wide range of sizes and weights and all have been very good. I had one that I used for striped bass, bluefish, salmon and steelhead and pike and used it for a few years allot- couldnt kill it,an intermediate I think.I have always liked and used Cortland lines and if I had to buy one brand for the rest of my life,( wouldn that be boring!)I wouldn't mind if it was RIO. After all that you asked which ONE, and I don't think there is just ONE that is best, at least not a brand name.What exactly are you fishing for, where and when. Will you be spey fishing? Since moving out west a few years ago I have settled into using the RIO lines with the interchangeable tip systems.I am sold on them.For both one and two handed systems.The RIO people are very helpful and will cover their product if it fails, factory direct.If you call them they are very helpful and patient.I have tried the Sage Performance Taper flylines a few times, on Sage rods and reels, as recently as last weekend, and they are very nice casting lines, balanced beautifully and fly like arows. I will definately buy some of those when I can.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have the SA Mastery Series Steelhead Taper (floating line) for my 8 wt. I don't know what it is, but I can't cast it for s**t. Not that I'm a great caster, but the Sage Performance taper on my 5 wt. and the floating tip on my 6 wt. Rio Versitip are all easier for me to cast. I used to have a cheaper Sage floating line on my 8 wt. before I bought the Steelhead Taper and I thought that line cast better than the Steelhead Taper.

For sinktips on my 8 wt., I use SA Mastery Series Wet Tips in Type III and V (or maybe VI - now I can't remember). I think these lines cast well. Go figure why the SA Mastery Series Steelhead Taper doesn't work well for me.

On the multi-tip lines, I have the Rio Versitip for my 6 wt. and I think it casts nicely (notwithstanding Dennis Dickson's protestations that commercial multi-tip systems suck). However, the loop weld on the floating tip failed after only a few times fishing. Luckily, the fly shop I bought it from replaced it, no questions asked. So, I like the way the line performs, but am not sure how well-designed the loops are. I think the loops on the Airflo are better (I have a multi-tip line for my 8 wt. that I don't fish very often). And the loops on the Rio mutli-tip Anadramous Dredger are much better than on the Versitip. (Actually, when I bought the Versitip, I was expecting to have the same loops as my Anadramous Dredger set up for my 10 wt.). I haven't looked at the loops on the Versitip for an 8 wt. - maybe they're the superior loops used on the Anadramous Dredger or maybe thery're the same ones on my 6 wt. Versitip.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I bought the SA Mastery Steelhead and had just the opposite experience. I fished DD's system one day and then fished my Orvis 9 ft 8 weight 4 piece Silver Label rod the next. I won't dispute that DD's system was easier to fish, but my set up was "good enough". The lesson I learned from DD is that you have to find out where the line loads best for your rod. It took some experimenting, but I found a place that worked. What I didn't master was the modified spey cast that DD teaches, so I was doing the old double haul with my rig. What 8 weight rod are you fishing?

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

Well I just had to add my input on those Cortland 555 lines. If you want to buy one just make sure that you check it out first. I Bought one and I'm not really happy with it. It has a memory that won't quit. Each time you go to use it you have to stretch it. If you don't it will coil badly. That's about all that I have found wrong with it but that was enough. I also read the info that came with it and it also says that if it is cold out that you probaly have to stretch it while you are using it. But other than all that it really cast smoothly and you get longer casts with it. I have it in a 5wt fwd floating.

As for any other line say for steelheading I have bought a Rio Versi tip, but have not used it as of yet.Had a new rod built and going to go with it. Heard nothing but good reviews about it. Planned for a 8wt. I hope I will be happy with it.

Jim. The world's worst fly fisher person.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Dan, I have the Sage 2-piece DS. Not the best rod in Sage's line up, but I have 3 DS's total (6, 8 and 10 wt.) and like them. I have the SP in a 5 wt. and it is sweet. I fish the 8 wt. a lot and some day will break down and upgrade. My lack of success with the Steelhead Taper probably has more to do with my weak cast than the rod. Just saying I've had better casting success with other lines than the Steelhead Taper.

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
I have a 7 weight Airflo Multitip line that I like a whole lot. Its a bit stiff, and the floating tip is really fat! But the thing casts very well. I have not casted the line through the connection with any thought about it (its at 15' and I never fish that short with it). The type 6 tip sinks like a rock, and shoots like a rocket.

I think though that a Multitip line is not going to allow a fly to sink deep enough for winter fishing, and I am going to build a shooting head setup for long casts, and deep dredges with my 7 weight.

On shooting heads, Orvis has the best deal on a full kit, 5 lines for $120, but they are too long at 38 feet, and they use cheap loop to loop connectors. I cut mine down to 28 feet, and they are much easier to handle, I also replaced the cheap loops with kevlar loops double nail knotted to the line, and I am much happier. I have a Cortland type 4, 320 grain sinking head that casts excellent and has a great butt loop built into it. I use these lines on my 10 weight rod. The Cortland head is an 11 weight.

I think my favorite line to cast is my SA Mastery Type 3 full sink. It shoots like a rocket, and is still slippery after a year of fishing.

I also own 2 SA Ultra3 lines, a 7 wt type 4 and a 4 weight type 2, and I rate them average. The type 2 sink forced me to have patience, as it really liked to be a full float line out of the box.

I also have a 4 weight Cortland Clear Camo, and it liked to float out of the box, and is pretty stiff, but it hides great in the water.

I have a Sage Performance Taper Fly Line in a 4 wt floating and its ok, but there are better lines, I'm sure.

Rob

---------
Genetic pollution damages wild
stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I have a Rio 7# multi-tip for my Scott 10' 7#. I really like the line a lot. I did find it a bit stiff to begin with but it "broke in" after a few long days. I haven't had any problems with the loops catching, but I tend to keep them out of the rod as the heads are relatively short. It shoots well. I like the versatility. I wouldn't go with a multi if I planned to fish a floating line often. I agree with TLoops that the type 6 might be a bit light for winter dredging. I'm going to try the type 3 tip, with the "super fast sink" AirFlo leader attached and see how that works this fall/winter. I recently picked up a Teeny T200 to try for my 8#, a little longer tip than I'd like (24') but I'll give it a go as well. I prefer short sink tips, with a line connection that's burly and factory tested/warranted, which the multi's from Rio, SA and AirFlo deliver, rather than construct my own and take my chances. I haven't had good luck with the mono loop attachable or constructing my own lines by welding all sorts of pieces together. Just too much hassle and uncertainty for my limited time. I'm sure there is an "ultimate" homemade line out there but it probably varies by person/rod/river etc. I guess I just have more faith in the factory lines that the basement lines. Confidence line like a confidence fly or something? I dunno, just my $.02

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For right now I am looking at rigging up for steelhead. Next year I will need to replace my wonderline in the 5wt series, at that point I will go with something different. I have the old generation of wonderline is what I have been told. Has SA always made Orvis?

I think I am going to go with the SA XPS WF8F for this run. I have a buddy whom I can get it brand new from for about $25.00. For the B run I am going to go with a SA class IV sink tip? Any input on these possibilities??

Thanks for all the info everyone. :THUMBSUP

~Patrick

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

I got to thinking about this and I came to my own understanding that all fly lines are good and what some people like about them some people don't. Cheap lines are just what they are,cheap. And the better lines are good for who ever want's to use that brand. I 've only had a problem with one brand,but if you do what they say you will have no problem.

I think that this came out about as clear as mud.

Jim

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL. you made me understand something. Once I figure out what it is you made me understanf, I will let you know. To be honest though, I think I have made my mind up and I am going to try the SA Mastery series for steelhead. If I like it then I will try it on my 5wt also. Thanks again everyone for your input.

~Patrick

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.