Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regarding NW Flies

I am still learning the art of recognizing hatches in progress and recognition/matching of flies. Does anyone know of any sites, books, magazines or what not that could help me in looking at real flies and matching them to patterns, as well as the names??? How about libraries (videos?)I pretty much need to study this stuff and am looking for a study guide (pictures would be EXTREMELY helpful), any hints? I know experience will help as well, but being only 20, i've only been fly fishing for about 2 years (still learning). Looking forward to countless years ahead.

Furthermore, just wanted to let ya'all know this forum is extremely instructional and entertaining, hope that one day i can fish and contribute as well and as often as some of you do. I am hopelessly hooked this spring, see you on the water.

-=Scott=-

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Get Western Hatches by Dave Hughes and Rick Hafele (SP?). It gives you all the bugs, with pictures, sizes, emergence times, and detailed information about life cycles, habits, and habitats. It also includes matching flies, with pictures and tying instructions, and tips on how to fish them. It's a little old, so it doesn't have a lot of really contemporary patterns (it doesn't include any of the current emerger patterns, for instance), but it has a lot of good dries and nymphs, and of course the bugs haven't changed much in the last 20 years.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Here's something a guide told me years ago that is good to remember while you are learning the different aquatic insects.

"Big and Small, Light and Dark". When you tie flies or buy them, come prepared with various sizes of typical patterns in light and dark colors. For example, you might have elk hair caddis in 2 sizes, #16 and (#12 or #10) in light wing/body and dark wing/body. Look at the hatch, you might not know the species of the insect but match the color and size.

Pay attn also to wing position. This will tell you what type of insect and what pattern to put on.

1. Mayflies have wings that go straight up (imagine hands in praying position) "parachute" patterns work well for this
2. Caddis flies have wings that form a "tent" over the body like a boy scout A frame tent
3. Stone flies have wings that sit on top of each other and lay flat when at rest.

go to www.westfly.com for an incredible resource of color pictures, patterns and names...very cool site.

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
998 Posts
If you want to cheat so to speak, and it wont cost you much if any, almost any good catalog from a fly shop will give you great color pictures. You can use them to not only identify what a pattern looks like, usually they will tell you a little about what they are representing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.