Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any fly reel currently being manufactured that's under 2 ounces? I have a 6' rod I built, and even my 2 1/4 ounce Sage Click feels too heavy on it. I know J Austin Forbes used to make a reel that I believe came in at 1.6 ounces, does anyone know if there's anything like that on the market today?

· Registered
128 Posts
From my experience, you will start giving up some of the qualities most people desire in a reel when you go that light. I would recommend looking at some of the Japanese reel makers as their ultralight selection is pretty thorough.
With that said, I went down a long and expensive ultralight road several years ago and the ultralight fly fishing forum is a good spot for research purposes. Not the most active board but there is a ton of good info there.

· Premium Member
32 Posts
89, I don't know if you've located that special reel. I have an Orvis CFO II that weights in at 2.25 oz. with an extra spool that I'll let go of. the reel itself needs some TLC but mechanically is in good shape. It would come with case. Let me know if yo are interested in reel, I can send you photos.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
89, I don't know if you've located that special reel. I have an Orvis CFO II that weights in at 2.25 oz. with an extra spool that I'll let go of. the reel itself needs some TLC but mechanically is in good shape. It would come with case. Let me know if yo are interested in reel, I can send you photos.
Thanks for the offer. I actually was able to find a reel from the UK that weighs in at 1.8 ounces

· Registered
6 Posts
Read of some folks on the ultralight forum liking that reel and I remembered it being one of the lightest reels out there. I thought about getting one last year for a light rod, but never did. Stuck with a couple heavier ones I have since I don’t use the rod often.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Read of some folks on the ultralight forum liking that reel and I remembered it being one of the lightest reels out there. I thought about getting one last year for a light rod, but never did. Stuck with a couple heavier ones I have since I don’t use the rod often.
I think it's the lightest reel currently made. I have a very light rod that even my 2 3/8 ounce Sage Click feels too heavy on, so I'm expecting this to be the reel I need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts