Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have seen, caught, or heard of fish on every Island except Maui. I am sure they are there, the problem is flats. You should be able to find blue trevally. I would take a 8wt, with some bone fish flies/ crab patters, clousers, and a few small poppers. If you can bring a second rod bring something big and go out in a boat and try for sails, doroda, wahoo. Good luck

·
Willing to learn anything...
302 Posts
Exactly what he said!
No flats, lots of coral. Try the soth west side la peruse etc. More volcanic than coral in that area, a little easier on your gear.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I went to Kauai and Oahu last year. I hoped to fish for bones but that is a little difficult (not impossible) without a guide and a boat. This was a short family trip and I didn't want to spend a lot of time fishing.

In addition to the bonefish gear which I didn't use, I also took six and seven weight rods. Most mornings, before my wife was up and about, I found rocky points and other areas along the beach that looked fishy. I primarily used tropical floating lines, floro tippets and standard bait fish patterns. Fishing was productive. Most mornings in a couple of hours I caught four to six fish. There was a surprising diversity of fish types. It was fun and I will do it again.

I see no reason why you wouldn't find similar beach fishing oportunities on Maui. My advice: take your rods. Enjoy.

·
Addicted to flyfishing
481 Posts
I went back in September of last year. I only had one on and I LDR'd it before I knew it. I took my 7 and 9 weight and I don't think I would do it again if I were going to Maui. Any other Island I definitely would but decent fishing water is few and far between over there. You also might catch grief
from the locals as well. If you need to get your Jone's satisfied hire a charter and see if it is ok to bring a flyrod, but no guarantees there either

The following was forwarded to me from Mingo before I went to Maui. "You can get some fun action on the beaches between Lahaina and Kaanapali if that's the area you'll be staying. If not, just look for areas with plenty of rocky structure. I use two distinct techniques. Bigger clousers or sea habits or sardina patterns on a sinktip, and bonefish flies on a floating line fished under an indicator in the surge zone. You need to bobber to keep your fly out of the rocks. The reef fish will "hit and spit" quickly so try to maintain eye contact with your fly if possible or watch your indicator for any quick dip or "zooming off in a different direction". Use fairly small flies like size 6 and even 8 pale pink bonefish charlies. ONe of my favorite Hawaii patterns is a Borski Slider in smaller sizes. Orvis carries them.

The clouser and baitfish patterns are for trevally, bonefish, barracuda, weke and anything else that will hit a stripped fly. Move it quick, and use a 20 lb straight shot of leader , no tapers needed. You'll hook some small papio (juvenile trevally) and other stuff doing this. it's really a fun way to chill, have some cold beers and enjoy a piece of Hawaii.
- Mingo

There is bonefishing on Oahu-you can hit an inter island shuttle flight, fish Oahu for the day and be back on Maui before you know it. Look up Oahu bonefishing/flyfishing guides and you should get the hookup-pardon my pun.

Ryan AKA Ryfly

·
Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge
383 Posts
Exactly what he said!
No flats, lots of coral. Try the soth west side la peruse etc. More volcanic than coral in that area, a little easier on your gear.
Ditto, I spent over a year on Maui 12 years ago and LaPeruse Bay was the place to be for WHAT was there, Blue Trevaly are awesome they will rip some line and leave you hanging slack jawd.
There is a good Lava leve looking point on the extreme far side of LaPeruse Bay that was one of the best spots to fish for me from the beach. There is also another spot on the complete oposite side of the Island I can not remember the name but good diving too and I seen ALUA (GT) in casting range there as well, I will PM you if I can remember the name.

Bring some Black chuggers about 4 inches long and Throw them right in the FOAMY edge of the waves as it falls off the lava shelfs cast as far as you can and strip like a mad man working Parallel to the beach worked very good for me. Also a blue and white Deciever anywhere. If you get them to follow just keep roll casting as you run out of stripping room they are hunters. They like to eat eels that tumble around in the breaking waves, or at least that was my best tool.
Reef fish will bite bonefish flies and a poppers in the waves at daylight, is pretty cool.

·
aka Justin
862 Posts
I have been to Maui quite a few times over the years with the family and have tried fishing from a bunch of places. Fishing is tough there from the shore. The fish most people are going for are "Papio" (small jacks), which are a blast to catch if you can find one. I have posted some other stuff on this website about Maui along with a few others, so you can probably find some more info with a search. Personally, I would always bring the rod. Try early in the morning, I think that would give you the best chance at some fish.

·
180 Posts
I found the following (BELOW) on another fishing site. I hope that you find it informative & helpful. Perhaps past Maui residents can "weigh-in" with their own opinions about this specific advice? Good Luck!

"There is fly fishing on Maui but not a whole lot. There are flats on the west side, small and a large one on the southside. If you are in Lahina and walk down the beach to the south or left looking at the water untill you can not walk anymore, not far. There is a small cove that is waist deep lot's of sand and corral heads and hard to fish. But at the very south end of it the channel cuts out to open ocean and bones and small trevally use this 4 foot deep channel to move in and out. Best just before dark so bring a flash light so you don't keep bumping into corral heads on your walk back to the beach. I used to fish this spot often when living there always had a fish on be it imcomming or out going tide. Would swing and strip a popper or clouser through current. I have had both bones and trevally spool me there. One other note, lots of reef tip sharks come in there at dark only about 3 to 5 feet long. Don't worry thet are harmless and are very curious as to what you are doing. They swim up to you take a look and head off only to come back and take another look. I used to like to stand on a corral head for awhile and watch them do their hunting routine. This little cove has a sea wall and houses around it so you will know when you have made it to the place."

"There is a big flat on the Kehie side. I forget the name of the beach now but it is just off the only point in Kehie, there is a resort or condo out there and sometimes wind surfers in the afternoon. There are tones of bones on these flats but they move fast. If you get an imcomming tide at first light you will get a chance to make a cast you just got to pick them out and first light is hard but it can be done. Once the Islanders start their daily hunt for seaweed just after sun comes up fish get real spooky. Just keep wading further out toward the outer reef. I always would wear a head lamp enter the water before light and get aways out on flat so to be ahead of seaweed gathers. There is always a lot of seaweed(limo) along the shore but once you walk out on the flat 50 feet it is a clear flat unless there is a south swell and there should not be until late May."

'Offshore fishing on a charter boat is a rip off but it will get you out to the other side of the the Island of Lani and out to the K Bouy. You may hook a marlin or a Mahi even small Ahi. You will see lots of diving gulls, feeding tuna and whales if you are going soon. I don't think they will let you use your fly rod even though they are charging you a small fortune.'
Have fun
- S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
02-15-2007 at 02:20 PM.

·
Registered
55 Posts
nwtroutguy, I just got back from Maui two weeks ago, tough fishing. But it can be done. Alot of good info here on the site, especially about La Perouse Bay. Keep in mind though, alot of that area has now been closed. There are signs that tell where the boundaries are. The far South end of the bay is open, and there is a trail to the left of that, that hugs the shoreline, all of that is open. It was used by the Hawaiians of old to get to Hana. Fish off the reef points, sinktips/clousers/deceivers. There are flats on the Southside that can be fished, one in particular that doesn't have as much coral, that hold some big bones and GT's. I found this spot while kayak surfing my last day in Maui. I went to Maui in the blind and did some recon, talked story and shared salmon I brought from Alaska with some locals (one guy had been fishing some of his spots for over forty years), and what I learned in a day talking to this guy, would have taken me months or even years to learn on my own. There are alot of things to learn concerning tides, forage/baitfish to mimic, and where to go. Try to fish early and late. Maui may not be the Island of destination just to go fishing....but I won't go to Maui again without my flyrods. Plus, the real bonus is, you get the opportunity to cast a line in paradise! ALOHA!

p.m. me for some info you should know before you go.

D Ray

·
Got 2 Fish
28 Posts
I fished Maui last year Feb .24- Mar.3. I found a flat at Kihei city park. We did not land any bones but I did have a couple of good shots. The wind will probably be blowing so practice casting in the wind. I am heading to Kaui in a couple of weeks if anybody has any details they are willing to share.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Lahaina jetty early morning or before dark. Streaker type patterns fast retrieve and hold on !! Look for Trevaly making raids into the shallows. Also look under the docks for small Cudas they can save a slow morning. Have fun !!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
You might consider taking the ferry over to Molokai and fishing with Capt Clay.
http://www.hallelujahhoufishing.com/index.htm

There are also fly fishing guides on Kauai. Bonefish and Peacock bass.
Water has been a little cool and the peacocks are not real active...
But the bonefishing are biting.(they were today in Honolulu)
As with any fishing there are good days and slow days.
Aloha,
Stan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.