Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a fly or fishing shop in Tacoma, other than the Morning Hatch, that has a good selection of flies ? I had a real negative experience with the Morning Hatch a couple of months ago and would rather not give them any more of my business. I find most other sporting goods stores have generic flies in blister packs hanging on the wall and the selection is limited. I'm particularly interested in saltwater patterns for the sound and chironomids for fresh water lakes. Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey there,
I'm a long time costumer of the Morning Hatch, but in the beggining my experience was simmilar to yours. They seemed very "stand off-ish" and tight lipped with thier advise. But my determination to the sport kept me going back and soon they warmed up to me.
They are a very unique and sometimes eccentricley(spelling?) fun group of guys.
Garry Sandstrom(the owner) Mike (the giude) are there on Mondays and are highly experienced anglers who'll give detailed answers to your direct questions. If your looking for someone to shoot the breeze with,Frank(the guy with the beard) is your best bet. He's not the most experienced angler, but he's a total fish fiend and has some unique perspectives on our sport.
Tuesday through Saturday you'll run into Mike Martin (son of Darrel Martin) who basically taught me to fish the fly. He's VERY knowledgable about a fly fishing in general and and excellent person to go in and B.S. with, as he's a good conversationalist and has a crass sense of humor that'll keep you on your toes.
You'll also run into Big Dave(...the tall guy) there too. He's the man you'll want to talk if you're into fishing the saltchuck. He's a lil' shy at first but has got a goofy sense humor once you get to know him. I spent the greater part of a year testing his patience by razzing him with every question I could think of while learning to steelhead. A great guy to know.
Admittedly, they are pretty bad in the first impressions department, but all in all, I've benefitted greatly from knowing them, and though I'd certainly recommend looking at those other fly shops, I wouldn't be so hasty in writing off the Morning Hatch.
Hope this helps,
Larry

·
Registered
219 Posts
Buy them on the internet

Go to the Virtual Fly Shop and look at their auctions. There is usually a very good slection of flies. I very rarely ty any more because of the excellent deals I have found on the internet.

G

·
Buy them on the internet

If your looking for less expensive flies,just click on Hills discount Flies at the top of the page. Good prices. I've not bought from there because I usually get my flies from Outdoor Emporium in Seattle. Just a thought. Jim S. P.S. .75 cents a fly.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Buy them on the internet

I buy from Hills...I'm extremely impressed by their quality, you're not getting anything less in quality, that's for sure. And they don't try to jack up the shipping rates, too, which seems to be common on the Internet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RE%3A Buy them on the internet

Thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions. These are resources I was not aware of.
As for the morning hatch here in Tacoma, I'll trust they were merely having a bad day on the occasion I was in the shop.
My wife and I are leaving this am in our motor home for 9 days in eastern Wa. Mountain biking and a little fly fishing. Perhaps Lenice, Lenore and the Yakima.
Thanks again for the ideas. This web site is great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.