Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOT SURE IF I WANT TO GO INSTEAD OF FISH TOMORROW. OKAY EVERYONE, WAS IT WORTH THE TEN BUCKS TO GET IN, OR WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE BEEN THROWING FLIES? DETAILS MAN I NEED DETAILS..

THANKS,
GREG

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
IMO, I would go fishing.
My wife and I did a couple rounds or so and watched the Deschutes slides. Only thing I liked at the show was a Patagonia SST Jacket jacket I almost bought for 150.00, didn't though. Rarely any deals on gear,etc.
I'll be more looking foward to the Seattle Outdoors Show.
I know that this was the first in Seattle(Bellvue) but I think they should of had a "live" fish tank or something and a Steelhead seminar. Oh well, maybe next year.

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
Matthew 4:19

·
Registered
303 Posts
To each there own, but I liked the show. I caught a couple seminars that got me hot to go back to Montana. I picked up a few tying materials and a pair of trick wading boots. These are hard to explain but I'll try. They come with rubber tread soles. These are good for trail walking and non slippery wading. They also come with interchangeable felt soles that replace the rubber soles. Also one can buy studded felt soles and rubber sole with studs. If you want further info. go to Korkers.com. The boots are 129.95 on there site. Some of the flyshops have them for 119.95 and a coupon for a $10.00 rebate. This a great idea. Walk down the dirt road, down the trail, slap on the felts or studs and jump in. jbrodie.:beer2

·
Registered
316 Posts
Lots of people, so walking the aisles is a little tough. Lots of interesting stuff. Met up with a few of the Wa Fly Fishing Forum guys (Roper, WT, WorldAngler, Sparse & Chris). Got a Wa FF patch from Roper. Not sure the show's worth the $10.00 but it wasn't a bad show. It's really a half day deal!

Jack Mitchell had a really nice booth. Probably the best one! Met up with David Childs and his wife from "Life is but a Dream" guide service/Grandma's Lake. Nice guy! John Comes from NorthwestTrout.com stopped by. Another great guy!

Yakima River Fly Fishers has a table in the main entry hall and Sparse manned the table passing out info on YRFF and tying a few flies (pretty good crayfish imitations). Don't know about fishing for carp though.

YRFF's web site is under construction but the 1st page is up with a link to a membership app. Look for more to follow on the site. Thanks Chris for providing space and for Ryan for designing the site!

Greg

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
To each his own. The Joe Humpheys seminar on Nymph Fishing Day & Night was worth every bit of the cost alone. You add to that Shawn Bennett's presentation on Saltwater Fly Fishing in Clayoquot Sound and those two seminars alone were worth every show I've ever seen and there were others also.

Randy

·
Registered
43 Posts
G'day Yakima,

Mate you might miss a fish tommorow but then again you could miss what will be the first real "gathering" of Seattle and NW Flyishers in what can be called their very own event. From the reaction of exhibtors and patrons Ive spoken to today, this is a bloody good show. We 've been to the odd one over the years too I might add and the people we have met here have been just down to earth flyfishos. Including the folks we met from this site today..If you want bargains go to a rolled into one sportsman show and deal with RV's. squeegees,turkey calls and tomato chopper salasa salespeople, if you want to see fly tying , casting and or test a flyrod or turn the handle on a fly reel your interested in come to the show. This is the first of many- support it and it will be something to look forward to next year..If you are after bargains spend the day with your wife at a flea market or surf Ebay...See you flyfisho's again tommorow..
Great turnout at the seminars and classes too!

Cordially
Randall

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hey guys I had my phamplet and lost it somehow and dont know where the show even is? Does this show have a website of location and/or the speakers/seminars for tomorrow? Or at least the address or building name so I can find it in the morning, thanks for your help.

·
Steve Daley - West Seattle Denizen
17 Posts
I went today and had a great time. I was there from the open at 9:00 am until about 4:30 pm. I paid $4 to park and $10 to get in and thought that it was more than worth it. I saw a slide presentation by Brian O'Keefe on fly fishing the tropics that was very entertaining and made me lust for warmer climes. Darrel Martin present on fly fishing the Amazon which he also published in FR&R's Jan/Feb '03 issue. Great stories. I saw another session on fly fishing Baja and the Sea of Cortez that was inspiring and exciting. The entertainment value of these sessions alone were well worth the $14.

The casting demos were informative and had a certain ah-ha factor to them. I'm not much of a fly tyer, but it was educational and fun to watch masters at work. The exhibitors were a good mix of vendors, lodges, retailers, and organizations.

It was a pretty healthy crowd all day long and at times the aisles were a challenge to navigate, but then again there was much to pore over and I was in no hurry.

My suggestion would be to go and check it out. It's a fly fishing only show and that alone was great. There are lots of opportunities to fish, but how often does a show like this come to town? It seemed to me to be a great success and I suspect it will become an annual event. It is a top notch show with national and local talent. If you go, make sure to get up to the 4th floor for the slide shows and presentations. I don't think you'd regret it.

Steve

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I went but wasn't to impressed with it all. I just have one question for all of you who went. I know a lot of people fly fish but I don't think all of those people there do. But I could be wrong. I wasn't looking for any bargins but just to see what is new out there that I can't afford. Which is just about everything that was there. Champane taste with a beer pocket book, thats me.

Jim

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I enjoyed it and think it was money well spent. I was there when the doors opened and couldn't believe how many people kept piling inside. Said hi to George Cook(just had that Spey class with him), shook Simon Gawesworth's hand, talked with Ken Hanley about fishing Puget Sound and got him to sign a book, Leland Miyawaki was busy giving a class on his Popper and didn't get a chance to talk with him, Dana Sturm was busy making deals on lines or something, talked with the Loop reps and got some questions answered about their Spey rods, Gilmore reels looked cool with their interchangeable spool system. I finally had to leave for work at noon and never made it to any of the seminars I wanted to see. I wish I could go tomorrow and I wouldn't go fishing. Ain't nuttin' left on the water but gear chuckers. I just can't believe it would be that crowded on Sunday. Anyway, I'm planning on fishing Tuesday and Thursday before the close our holy grounds on the rivers. See ya out there.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

·
Registered
177 Posts
come on, not worth ten bucks? i would hate to go out to dinner with anyone who didn't think this show was worth ten dollars. A.K.Best alone was worth the price of admission. i just wish parking cost less than the show. . it was a little annoying that the guy doing the the presentation on " flyfishing the undiscovered B.C.", didn't show up. but Tim Linehan talking about fishing the Kotenai, was an able replacement. try casting an ADG rod tomorrow. i was pretty blown away. their made of titanium and their very forgiving. the norvise looks pretty damn cool as well. all in all though, i met some really cool people today.

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,347 Posts
I was there from 9:00 to about 12:30. I saw Brian O'Kefee's talk on Tropical Saltwater, and I wanted to just walk into each and every one of his slides. I also loved his talk, very entertaining.

Then I hit the Weigh West presentation, and learned a good bit about fishing for coho. Now, I want one of their boats on a trailer in my backyard.

Mostly the show itself was about high ticket items, and I didn't have that sort of cash to spend, so I just blew it off. I did pick up a Finsport pouch for flies, so that I can better orgainize my saltwater collection. Oh, and there is a custom rodbuilder with some nice feather inlays that I looked at. I will have to try that on my next rod.

It was amazing to see that many people in the building for fly fishing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Great show, wish I could spend another day there. Picked up some hard to find flytying materials, handled (drooled on)some new rods, saw lots of people. Definetly worth ten bucks. Heard real good things about the womens fly casting classes, next year I'll being be taking the wife along. Phil Rowley's presentation on conquering chironomids was excellent, anyone see 40-50 guys file out of there and head directly to Waters West booth to pick up the new strike indicator Phil mentioned. Somebody was paying attention. Look forward to next year. My only reccomendation was mentioned before and that was they needed a steelhead seminar. Steve

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
For me, I got to see and talk with a whole bunch of friends in the industry that I don't get to see very often. I met some new people while I was doing my popper thing at the Wild Steelhead Coalition booth as well as people who stopped me, while I was wandering around, and just wanted to talk beach fishing.

The highlight for me was on friday at the confluence of the Snoqualmie and Raging rivers, in Fall City, where over 75 people showed up for a speyclave. Aaron Reimer emptied his shop of speyrods and reels again and brought the new Sage 5wt two-hander for everyone to cast. Dana Sturn, from B.C.,demonstrated speycasting efficiencies. The highlight was a demo by Nobuo Nodera from Japan. Nobuo has been designing rods in Scotland for 10 years and has only recently been designing his own line of CND custom speyrods. Nobuo stepped into the river at 3pm and showed how the ghillies in Scotland fish the River Spey. It was truly something to see him pick up and cast 100 feet of full sink line!

All in all, I'd say that it's about time we had a dedicated, 100% flyfishing show.

Leland.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Although I think it was easily worth the $10, I was quite disappointed with Saturday's show. The no show speaker for the "undiscovered BC" seminar was very annoying...good thing though, it certainly would not remain undiscovered for long with 250 people in attendance. The PA system in the theater rooms was really messed up...the voice of AK Best was being pumped into the other theater rooms and Tim Linehan had to compete with that for much of his talk on the Kootenai. I finally left Joe Humphreys' "Special Casts for Catching More Fish" demonstration after several minutes of watching him untie a knot generated by his bow-and-arrow cast, which was not really that impressive. He also introduced revolutionary casts like the side-arm and roll-cast...new and innovative stuff...not.

Highlights were AK and Phil Rowley's talks and the new Hyde boat design, which has me thinking about trading-in. Picked up one new book and no gear. After all that went wrong, it is still nice to have this show in town...warts and all.

-Crock

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.