Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reading the thread on airflow versus flight and seeing pic's of the chickens guys throw and T-14 got me wondering something..

Are you guys who are using T-14 and those huge flies catching?

Not being an asshole here...I just honestly haven't used T-14 since maybe my first year...I barely use my fast sink line, mostly a type 3 or 6...or t-6, t-8, rarely t-10....

I don't use big huge flies either..my biggest would be 2" tubes and those I rarely use..

Yes I've caught a few winter steelhead this way...I haven't seen anyone catch um on those huge ones...(which doesn't mean anything either as I haven't fish all over either and maybe that's the only way in certain rivers??)

SO......Does it work? Does it work better then your standard sized fly? Can you say "Yes, I swung through smaller ones but they don't take um like they do the big ones"
Or is this just how you were taught, told, learned etc.

I ask as I am drifting down a separate fork and going with smaller and lighter everything..from rods to lines to flies...Partially, (probably a huge partially at that) is the pleasure factor....Throwing single speys with scandi heads (guidleline power taper with tips when needed)
Compact skagits with 10' tips when I have too....

Maybe it's because with the state of things at least the by-catch makes it interesting?

I don't know...When I used to gear fish I have caught more steel on small roe bags, skeins with only a couple eggs left on it...jenson egg and wool...then I have with a huge glob of anything...

But If I'm missing something then I'd sure like to know...

·
Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"
2,838 Posts
The big fly thing is more a function of water clarity than anything else. I will use heavy tips, but for the most part, I use what the water requires. In a lot of runs I'm throwing intermediate tips, in others 12 - 15 foot of T14. So for me, the smaller flies just don't cut it due to water vis being anywhere from 1 foot to 1.5 foot. When fishing clear water like the Duc, I will use the standard 2" strip of rabbit fur or marabou fly. As for catching, yes I do catch fish with those big flies. I distinctly remember having Riane on the board actually question using such a large fly after fishing one for 1/2 a day. 10 casts or so later, fish on, end of questioning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks I forgot about the clarity issue..good point...Old member off here sent me an email and it explained allot as well..things I hadn't thought about in awhile as I haven't fished those situations in awhile...thanks Jason!!!

I'm asking as I'm starting to move into a smaller more natural fly i.e. trout kind of thing...I could be the one 100% wrong here..but I am finding while my favorite fly (confidence?) is the ESL by a mile...tying up a box of them in 10 minutes doesn't do anything for this itch inside me...Freaking talking with old timers is fuking up my 'ead....Lol...Been looking at lots of old patterns etc. and tying um some and trying different things...Can't say any epiphany has happened...just what's been making me happy...

Fishing the right tool makes sense too..

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I like big flies, but that is what i prefer to fish. I like the idea of a fish grabbing one. Now this is specific to winter runs. I also believe that it takes a little more of an intrusive pattern to get them to move on it in the cold water. Summer runs is a whole different story. I like skaters, skaters, skaters, and oh yeah skaters......and floaters. But in the winter I love seeing a 8" long monstrosity hanging out of the jaw of a chrome pissed off buck. you can actually see the anger in his eyes....

·
Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"
2,838 Posts
Big flies aren't always about clarity. Some guys choose them over smaller flies based solely on the level of aggressiveness in the take from the fish.
Point taken :) But I also think we are talking the difference between a "big" fly (4") and a BIG fly 6"+.... A lot of people who call their intruders big give me a silly grin on their face. Almost like that one scene in Crocodile Dundee (Now THAT's a knife)...

·
Registered
23 Posts
the only way to really gauge that question for yourself is to fish ever run with a big fly, a medium fly, and a small. there aren't that many steelhead even in the great rivers, and when someone says something to the effect "I caught them on a small egg sack with only a couple eggs" they really have to be honest with themselves for that statement to hold value. IE did you cover that run effectively with a big fly or gob of eggs and only then had a hook up when you hit it again with the smaller set up? or did you just happen to present a fly to a steelhead correctly?

if I fished all day covering as much river as possible, getting nothing, and then switched to an ESL and caught one right away does that mean that ESL's are what they are biting on and nothing else will do? I doubt it. it just means I finally got my fly in front of a steelhead....

and then there is the whole water clarity thing.

another unanswerable question is: on ESL"s are they biting the egg? or are they biting the leech? Im betting its the egg, and if so were all nymphers and going straight to hell.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another unanswerable question is: on ESL"s are they biting the egg? or are they biting the leech? Im betting its the egg, and if so were all nymphers and going straight to hell.

Hear that...

·
Aint no nookie like chinookie
994 Posts

Hear that...
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
307 Posts
you are going to hell anyways using ESL on T summer runs....

5 things determine what kind of fly I use: water temp, angler pressure, water type and vis and what I bloody feel like using. They are far and few enough in between these days, more and more for me its about offering up some kind of respectful offering, using a method of presentation that brings me the greatest pleasure.

If it were just about numbers i'd still be slinging bugs with the pin rod....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.