Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of designing a tying desk and was curious if anyone has any suggestions? So far my design concept is a mutation of a china hutch / desk...basically if you removed the top portion of a china hutch and attached it to a narrow desk. My intention is to create a desk that won't be to "obtrusive" (per the wife's instructions), has the ability to conceal all of my materials, and needs minimal floor space. Here is a list of the current features:

-16" deep, 48" wide, 5'4" tall (32" to top of desktop).
-desktop is on glides so (similar to under mounted keyboard tray) that is does not take up as much floor space
-Hutch portion has 8-12"x12"x6" drawers, 8-6"x12"x6" drawers, a book/magazine tray. 4" in front of the drawers are cabinet doors to conceal all of the drawers and for a place to hang materials on inside face.

Thanks for your advice...and Happy New Year!

Andrew

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not gotten that far yet! Good question...now that I think of it I might in lay some light colored plastic laminate so that I can see hooks, and replace it after a few head cement spills occur :thumb! Thanks for the question, and If this thing does become reality I'll post pics and give anyone the autocad plans to build one.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
I think it's axiomatic that no matter how much material supplies etc that you have right now, and design your desk around, there will be twice to three times that much materials by this time next year.If there's any way you can plan for more than you need spacewise, I suggest you try that. Also, be generous with your desktop area, the working surface- this gets crowded easily and quickly. Try melamine or some other laminated material for the worktop surface- resisting glues and finishes, cements etc, should be an important consideration. Maybe you can try aromatic cedar for the drawer and storage linings too.

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
There was just a swap of photos of peoples fly tying workbenches on the Virtual Flybox listserver. Thankfully the organizer is distibuting them as pdfs, and I have 2 or the 3 he is promising.

I drooled over some of them, and laughed over others. I am currently using a cheap card table, and a beat up end table as my "workstation". I'm in the photo swap, but I must be in the 3rd pdf.

I wanted to attach the pdfs but they are each 1.2Mb, and there is a 400k limit on attachments. I will have to see if Chris can help us out.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

I have one that is similar to that fold up top,but no drawers so I put in partions(sp) to separate everything. It looked good in my eye but after a few times tying it looks like a cyclone went thru and just spun around on the top of it. I've tried to make it neat but I'm like a bull in a china cabinet. It don't work I can't keep it clean so I just quit trying. It seems that I can find thing eaisier that way.

Jim

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Everybody has a different thought on this topic. I've tried to stay portable. I've tried to store all my junk in some sort of order. So far, it seems to be working for me. Wish I could send you a photo but I'm 65, can't handle any cyber stuff..

I started with a plank ($20.00) of beech 6/4.. It's 35"X 11". Then I put some sides on it about 2 1/2" high X 1 1/4" thick, leaving no side on the front because this is where the vise goes.. These were cut from the same chunk of beech as the desk top. I routed two handle grips on the sides to allow me to haul it around. In the back side, I drilled 24 holes to receive 3" high dowels that are 1/4 " dia. These are for thread and other spools like wire etc. Since two spools will go on each dowel, I can see about 50 spools at once. These stay very neat and separate. Then, in front of that but lower, I built two boxes that are long and narrow 27" X 2" and I bored 10 holes (1 1/2") in each. These twenty holes take plastic pill bottles (Druggist will give or sell you some). I put my main hooks in these as well as my cement. I left enough room on the right to allow a box 7" X 4 1/2" into which I bored about 30, 1/4 " holes. I stick my bobbins in these also all my tools with my best scissors in the front left corner.
These scissors are either in my hand or in that hole. I never have to look for them. In front of that is my working area which holds my vise (Renzetti). To the left of all the hooks I have a space 9 by 6" which hold about 10 Altoids steel boxes. I am addicted to these mints so the boxes are no problem. I put beads, eyes, all manner of little things here.
Now you ask,"Where is your stuff?
Every thing is in large plastic storage boxes (Home Depot) and I stack and hide them in the closet until needed. They all have big signs on them as follows:
Bodies ( all my bodies and more, chenille, floss, tinsel , gaudy this and gaudy that. Subtle this and subtle that,) Dubbing. Herl.
Hair. Everything made of hair, tails, fur etc.
Feathers. If you're a feather, you are in here.
Marabou.
Hackles.
Misc.
I use an old piece of junk (junk store), which was a small book shelf, to hold the portable bench. I use the book shelves for all my trout books and fly tying information. The bench goes on my dinning table when I am in my trailer. Sometimes I put the bench on my lap (actually on the arms) when I'm in my recliner; I can relax, talk to my wife, watch the world go to hell, etc. And then when fishing, I like to get it out and put it on the picnic table and tie flies outside. Fun!
Seems to work. Good luck!
BOBLAWLESS:thumb

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been using one for about 3 years now. The only problem i sthat the vise has to be close to the back for the desk to be closed. Other than that, the best stationary fly tying set up I've had in over 30 years.

Carl

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Fly Tying Desk or Box

A dedicated desk is fine for many, but I'm building a tool box for my tying stuff. It is big enough to hold lots of stuff, yet small enough to pack up for a trouting trip. It's a modular design and can be added to as needed. It has drawers for hooks, feathers, and dubbing. The doors hold thread and tools. The bottom (detachable) can hold the vice and other big odds and ends. Either piece can even be wall mounted. I'm planing down some 3/4 birch now to 1/2 inch to build this box. I have about 2000 BF of wood sitting in the basement, and I'm considering building some to sell.
The beauty of the design is that it can be placed on any table and packed away after a tying session.

Roper,

Truth above all

·
Registered
138 Posts
My father got a well-used roll top desk when he was about 14 (1934). He kept it all those years and has handed it down to me. It is a truly wonderful experience to tie on this desk, as it brings back hundreds of memories of my own childhood. The desk was rarely in our home, but spent most of its time in my father's warehouse, a place I loved to visit.

Lots of cubby holes and little drawers to store stuff, but I have to slide the vise back to get the top down, a must because we have a couple of curious cats. Still, a joy to tie on.

Jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.