Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
I have both for my old Regal and in the last 15 years I have never used the clamp. Instead I use the pedestal and set it in a low rectangular tupperware tray. This catches all of the debris and prevents things like bead heads from escaping, prevents any glue from reaching the bench top and is easy to empty and clean. It works on every picnic table in the land and allows you to sit up closer to the table or bench than does a clamp on vise. And it looks cool too!! Ive

·
Registered
20 Posts
Greg

I took some flat metal and a all thread nut and made my own pedestal. The nut was drilled and taped throughthe side and then a wing nut screwed into it the vise slides down inside and you tighten it up. I welded the nut the the flat metal. I then painted it white, figuring it was easier to see the hooks that way. I built another one for my brother-in-law, the only thing I did different on his is i glued a piece of leather to the bottom so it would not slide as easy. We also added a clip so you could hang different back ground colors up. He likes it. I am going to glue the leather to the bottom of mine also.

Greg :thumb

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

I have this big old ugly thing that the wife got me from Gorrila and Sons a few years ago and it it is on a pedestal. But it has rubber under the base and it doesn't move at all.

Not to change the subject,but I was thinking about what I said. I have been saying along that my wife doesn't buy me anything related to fishing. I've been wrong,she bought me that fly tying vise.

Jim

·
Tom Van Gelder
35 Posts
I started out with a clampand converted it over to a pedistal. By putting some non skid under the pedistal it is stable and works place. Also as mentioned earler I can position it so I am comfortable when I tie.

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
Pedestal all the way. Put it where you want: on the coffee table, tying bench, car hood.

I tye a similar range of flies to you, trout to saltwater, #20 to 6/0, mostly steelhead, though. I have never had a problem due to the base.

Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.