Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed to the outer hebrides in a couple weeks for some trout fishing. Am trying not to check any bags due to a tight connection and would like to carry all my fly gear (rod, reel, nippers, flies) onto the plane. Has anyone had a problem travelling with any fly gear in a carryon bag while passing security. Don't want to let my trip be spoiled by an overly zealous TSA worker.

I suppose I'll have to leave the fly floatant at home because someone will think it's combustible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dave,
Yes, while traveling to Alaska from Wenatchee WA last Fall, I had my flies and equipment for tying more flies for silvers in my carry-on. They were rejected by the person scanning my carry-on bag. No sharp objects I was told (hooks & scissors). Luckily another in our group was late for check-in and I was able to put my flies and tying gear into his check-in luggage, no problem. just put your sharp objects in your checked luggage. I carried my rods and reels with me as carry-on cuz I just am not that trusting with my babies. I guess you have to play the game and check the questionable stuff. I don't know if I felt any safer, but it wasn't a huge inconvenience either.
Mark

·
Registered
528 Posts
It will depend on the country. On a trip to NZ, I carried rods, reels, and pliers. I packed flies in check bag. No problem at SEATAC or in NZ. My problem was Sydney where they wouldn't allow me to carry my rod on board and chucked my pliers. SEATAC is pretty rod friendly because of all the travelers to AK. I would personally carry the expensive items and leave the flies and such in the checked bags

Joe

·
Registered
213 Posts
Went through both SeaTak and SF airport last week with about a dozen flies in my carry on. No one seemed to mind, but I'm guessing that on any given day, that might change. I just forgot they were in there. It's happened to me about three times now with no problems.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
On the way back from the Bahamas, I wasn't allowed to have my reels in my carry-on! They wouldn't explain why not, just insisted that I check them. Maybe they thought the line could be used as a weapon - I'll never know.
Travellers beware!

·
Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge
383 Posts
Just went to AK and was surprised by the TSA tolerance of my fishing gear, I packed all flies, reels and rods onto the plane including all tools.
This was the first time they had NOT rejected something, so they are unpredictable in the least!

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts
Got back from Loreto yesterday, through SEATAC and LAX. My solution is to tie tube flies, which I carry on with rods and reels. Hooks are prohibited and are sometimes confiscated. I put my hooks in a checked bag with other lethals. If they lose my carry on, my chances of finding replacement hooks is much higher than sevceral dozen flies.

To return, I check the reels also, other governments realize I stand a better chance of garroting a crew member with a line or furled leader than despatching him with a 2/0 hook. If my baggage is misplaced or delayed, it doesn't matter coming back.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
TSA and airport security are completely unpredictable and hopeless IMO. I try to check all my weapons of minimal destruction just to reduce my personal hassles. But I boarded a plane 3 weeks ago with my Swiss army knife in my pocket. I feel better when I'm the most heavily armed passenger on an aircraft. When I tried to board a return flight 2 years ago, I was informed that my driver's license was expired and therefore I might not still be the same person as depicted in the expired license photograph. So I was shunted over to the special terrorist screening line where the terrorist screener took stuff out of my carry on backpack and wiped down the inside with a special cloth that can detect explosive residue. Fortunately for me, the special cloth did not detect my 4" folding hunting knife or my Leatherman tool with its assorted sharp points and blades. Fortunately all the way around, I'd forgotten that those things were still in my backpack and not in my checked bag, so I didn't act like a suspicious terrorist, and the dumbshit TSA terrorist screener didn't notice them either. Man I love being the most heavily armed person on an airplane!

Alaska Airlines is cool with carrying fishing rods and tackle on their aircraft, but TSA is unpredictable. Fly lines and flies are sometimes seen as potential weapons; sometimes they aren't. How stupid is the whole TSA concept? Besides entirely, I mean.

Sg

·
Just Another Bubba
803 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.