Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is another rookie question....sooner or later I will get all this stuff figured out. Whats the low down on fishing the salt water, be it Neah Bay or in the sound? How is it done, what techniques are used? Can one be successful on a fly? When, what species, etc. Is there anything to be caught this time of year? Is a 9ft 8wt RPLxi and a Tioga 8 LA a suitable weapon? I am interested in fishing the salt at some point. I'd like to gather up some ammo before I try to fight that battle. Thanks.:dunno

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
Check out other discussions in this forum, the article on fishing for SRCs , and also check out www.pugetsoundflyfishing.com for more information.

Right now, there are blackmouth that are legal to target, resident coho that are not, but might bite, SRCs that are done spawning, cabezon and ling cod that are are right around spawning time, and flounder that are happy to bite.

Your 8 wt RPLXi is just fine for the salt and salmon, but for SRCs you may want to go lighter. I know of people that will go as light as a 3 wt for SRCs.

Rob

·
Registered
174 Posts
You chose a good year to get into salt water fly fishing. I started in 2001 when the Pink Salmon were running in the fall and I've been hooked ever since. Pinks usually school up and near points so make good targets for fly fishing. They aren't as glamourous as silvers or src, but they fight well and hit just about any bright pink fly.

·
Registered
804 Posts
It's a blast! Although last summer was a poor year generally for large ocean silvers from the beach unless you happend to hit a school (for me anyway), the chums in kitsap county creeks made up for some of my more frustrating days during August and September - I still have a groove in my stripping finger, and often left the estuary because my wrist was too sore to play more fish.

Wash your gear well and keep it well lubricated after each use to avoid corrosion.

Jim W

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
There's allot of difference between Neah Bay and Puget Sound.It would depend but sounds like you are from around the sound. Start with Cutthroats on trout gear, try Shewey's book. And There's some good Cutthroat info in this site off home page. Read allot and go tinker around with it allot.There is no replacement for time spent on the water. You just have to go do it. Find water spilling out a creek or flowing past a bar or past a beach, look for rockey sheltered areas near points, coves are good, any grassy areas. Flowing water in salt is just like fishing a river current. Try dry flies, streamers.Small green scuds or small green shrimp, about size 10 or 12. Just about any trout fly will tweak a cutty. That's a nice beginning.

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info - thats a good start. There was mention above on pink salmon and points - whats the low down on that? Is there any decent fishing this time of year? What about tides? Do tides play into consideration?? Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey steve,

Yeah, especially when the phosphoresence comes out at night and your hooked into slab Pink that wants to head out to the islands.

We sure had some good times down there that year.

give me a ring soon,
easy--
Mcronariver

·
Mother Nature's Son
1,347 Posts
I've fished for pinks in B.C. and Alaska quite a bit in the fall but found a very early run of pinks in Hood Canal that was in full force by July 1st two seasons ago. These fish were caught right in the salt.

I had one great experience that I'll mention briefly. I found a pod of Pinks that were cruising a shore line and so I tossed a fly as they came by. The fish were about 6-7 feet deep and numbered in the hundreds. I saw the flash of the fish that decided to take my offering and off she went. At that moment, I heard a huge splash behind me and looked underneath my boat as a very large seal swam under my boat in hot pursuit of the school of fish. The seal immediately noticed that one of the fish in the group was not acting like the rest as it was on the end of my line. It chased the hooked fish for a moment but began yelling at the seal and it broke chase. I love the experience of being out where such things take place. What a great experience it was.

As for other species, Coho are routinely caught in the salt and I had a few 20 fish days up in Quilcene bay. I managed 3 chinook last season of about 15 lbs. while fishing in Hood Canal. And of course, Chums are can be easily caught in the salt. Learning about tides and fish behavior is very interesting.

For places to go, Hood Canal, Sekiu/Clallam Bay, are just a few options. Take along a few crab pots, throw them in, head out fishing and have a nice meal.

Skinny

·
Registered
804 Posts
boat is nice, but certainly not necessary. I'm a middle sound beach bound guy on kitsap peninusla - popular spots for salmon: Pt no Pt, the forts at Port Townsend (can't recall name) and Fort Flagler on Marrowstone island, around hood canal bridge, bainbridge island, kingston etc.

any place you can access the beach with moving water.

seattle side have fished Lincoln Park. Lots of stuff south of Seattle - not fished it though. There are a few salt guys on the forum who can give you good places to start all the way to Olympia.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I've done some recent fishing at both Joemma and Kopachuck State Parks (remember, they cost $5 to park now). Five of us began the morning at Joemma on the incoming tide and finished at Kopachuck during the ebb. In all, we caught nine silvers and three cutts. They were all in the 14" range. We fished reverse spiders and poppers.

The Narrows at Doc's should have some pods of silvers sipping euphasids and copepods soon. I have also heard that Titlow is turning some fish now.

Leland

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lets say I guy wants to give it a shot this weekend since he's off work friday - monday..... where do you all think one should go, and the same question as above - what line, leader, Weight, etc? Maybe a general purpose fly or 2.

If the fish are small this time of year - I am thinking the 5wt with a long leader...but thats just a guess.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I fish my poppers with a 6wt, dryline and a 15' leader. My buddies fish the darkside with an intermediate sink or clear stillwater line, also on a 6wt, but with short leaders. No need to go any lighter than 3x tippet.

Use small clousers, reverse spiders, or poppers. There aren't many fish showing, so move along the beach, don't grow roots in one spot. If you're fishing a popper, you can cover more water because the fish will come from as far as 20' away because they're attracted to the surface action.

For specific patterns, check the archives of this list as previuosly suggested or the Les Johnson/Bruce Ferguson book, Saltwater Fly Fishing or Steve Raymonds book, The Estuary Flyfisher.

Exact patterns aren't that important. Food is scarce and there isn't enough to become selective over.

Fish the moving tide, either ebb or flood and forget the slacks.

But keep moving. If they ain't there, they ain't there.

Leland.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.