Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,846 Posts
It kills me that you can't carry your flies on. Especially since you can still carry on a lighter on most airlines, but a box of flies is considered a dangerous weapon! :beathead I guess they've already forgotten about Richard Ried (the shoe bomber).

Bill

·
Registered
805 Posts
even if you call the corporate office and get the OK, you may still get denied at security or even at the gate based on who you happen to meet....and you might get to go one way, but not the other. So show up early in case you need to back track and check it all in.

Flies for sure will not be allowed on.

Jim W

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was in New England over the Memorial Day weekend and bought a new rod at large manufacturer there (7.5 feet 2 piece) and carried it back on an Alaska airlines flight. Nobdy said anything in security or the airline.

Carl

·
Registered
63 Posts
I went to a conference in San Fran back in December and had to take a poster -- complete with tube. Not sure if this helps, but this tube was just as large, or larger, than any rod tube. :dunno Didn't have any problems.

If you just have one tube claim it as your "personal item" since you are typically allowed a carry-on plus one personal item. My experience has been that if you ask about it then you get in trouble, but if you act like it's no big deal, then no one says anything...
:rolleyes

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just went down to California for some shad fishing. Didn't want to check my bag and rolled the dice taking a fly box in my backpack. Also didn't have my rod in a tube (not as crazy as it sounds).

I went through 4 security checks in the course of the round trip.

A couple grumbles about the two piece rod (it fits in the overhead). I have a feeling it would have been different if it were in a tube (go figure).

Everyone took out my flybox and checked out the hooks at some length. I did not get them confiscated. But, came pretty close in San Jose (thanks mostly to a purple articulated-leech left in there from the winter).

I would have and will check them when I'm taking more than a carry-on next time (alaska on wednesday). My personal opinion is that those security people are overworked and underpaid and there is not an actual rule for fishing hooks (I could be wrong) - and the fate of your flies is left to the security person's gut feeling about you. If you catch one on a bad day, they'll probably take your flies. Don't take the chance.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think it depends on where you fly! I just recently returned from St. Maarten with 3 layovers on each way. Seattle was a breeze...I think everyone knew what was in the tube (9'-6" 2 peice), however, when I got to New York, JFK, it was a different story...no one had a clue as to what I was carring. As for flies I kept those in my checked baggage...along with my nippers and "tools of mass carnage". Just ask the Flight Attendant to stow the rod in the "first class" closet or crew closet.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I flew roundtrip cross-USA in May, carrying my fly gear, including 5-piece pack rods, in a backpack as carry-on luggage. (That way I had all the essentials with me; one can always buy cheap waders if the luggage goes into a black hole.) No problem with flies (a half-dozen boxes in vest pockets); the only momentary problem was with scissors in a first aid kit, and that passed. They're now allowing nailclippers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ok...anyone flown out of PDX? I am flying out on July 10th. I am flying Alaska. I was planning on carrying everything on...but now I am concerned.....I don't want anyone to take the flies....Should I just check a bag? I hate to do that, but if that is the only way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm an airline pilot who is based out of PDX and I see people getting on my plane on a daily basis with fly rods. As far as flies getting through security, the TSA lacks common sense and is pretty inconsistent. My advice; get through security early and if they have any problem with your gear, you 'll still have time to go back and check a bag if you need to. Hope that helps.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,781 Posts
I got into the habit of shipping all of my stuff, maybe six months worth of gear and clothing and supplies,well ahead of time to Alaska via Parcel Post, insured of course. I was in New England then and wanted to avoid the scramble at Chicago O'Hare and the lost stuff on some trips. Now days it is still a great way to go.

The current security issues really have made shipping much more secure as everyone involved is now personally accountable for each package. And the Post Office does a cheaper and better job of shipping items to remote areas and Native Villages up there than anyone else.

I just call ahead when it's all due to arrive and check on the status of delivery. If anything is ever lost I can throw together an emergency kit in a day or so and go ahead anyway. Then I could hash out the insurance claim issues after the trip if I still had to do that.This way all I bring is a small carry on handbag for a full season in Alaska.

It would work very well for a camping trip or hiking trip too if you sent it to yourself via general delivery or in care of the local destination postmaster. I have done this often enough to have very good confidence in it prior to sept 11th and since then I am even more assured of a good outcome. One thing is that I seal the packages in front of a postal clerk right there at the post office, so if they are curious about the shipment they can just look at the stuff before I seal it. We always end up talking about fishing anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.